output file

Open discussion about WinMerge.

output file

Postby nalini » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 am

can any one tell me how to store the difference of two files using winmerge.
I do not want to open winmerge, but execute via command prompt & check the output file that shows the difference.

thanks,
Nalini.
nalini

Re: output file

Postby smelina » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi,
TWinMerge can take two input files as command line parameters but there is no way to run it silently by default.
Nonetheless, this can be solved. You need to modify the source files and rebuild the project yourself :-)
What needs to be done is putting the call to export feature of WinMerge right after the file comparison is finished and kill the WinMerge.
However, the WinMerge program window still emerges for a fraction of a second.

I'm using it this way with no problem. If you are not a developer you can send me a message and I can make a build for you.
I even have a small DLL and EXE which serve as WinMerge wrapper running WinMerge silently without poping out the windows.

Petr
smelina

Postby Clara » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing. The idea is to compare two folders with at least a hundred files each and just receive the results with the differences. The thing is, I have no idea how to modify the sources and rebuild the project.
Petr, I read your answer and I believe you have the solution I need.
I really could use your help.
How can I contact you? Shall I give you my mail?

Thanks in advance,

Clara
Clara

Postby Clara » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi, I thought I had posted a reply here but I guess something went wrong.

Well, I also am interested in the automatization of winmerge. But I'm afraid I don't know how to modify the source files or rebuild the project.
What I need is to compare two folders with a hundred of files each and compare this files. But I only need to see the results with the differences.

Petr, you were saying that you have developed a way. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Clara
Clara

Postby lahtinenk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am

I have just started to use WinMerge and I already noticed it is quite useful for me. But I would like to save only the differences of the files, but I do not know how to do it. I can use it with GUI as the case is one-off.
lahtinenk

Postby mvinolo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:40 pm

nalini wrote:can any one tell me how to store the difference of two files using winmerge.
I do not want to open winmerge, but execute via command prompt & check the output file that shows the difference.

thanks,
Nalini.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am facing the same problem, I need to avoid comparison screen and throw differences to a file calling a command line winmerge.
Thanks
mvinolo

Postby jtuc » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:46 pm

I dare suggest you to use the GNU DiffUtils package. See http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm for Windows binaries.
jtuc
Developer

Postby tats » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 am

Hello
Its 2018 now and would like to ask if this issue was addressed?
I mean was this fix? because I was looking for this feature too.
Thank you
tats

Return to Open Discussion