Hide unchanged lines

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Hide unchanged lines

Postby notgoing2bauser » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 am

I just read this in the FAQ (http://manual.winmerge.org/Faq.html):

4.6. Can I hide similar lines in a file comparison, so that only different lines are visible?
No, you can't. Many users have requested this feature but we don't have any plans to implement it. We don't believe it would really improve usability.

I came to WinMerge as I forgot to bring my current comparison tool (UltraCompare) to the client's office. I need to review the significance of the 40 different lines in two 2.2 million line files, but there is in fact no way to see these changes together on the screen, instead I must jump around between them? And you can't see how this feature would improve usability? Well, for this user it immediately removes WinMerge from my potential tool list.
notgoing2bauser

Re: Hide unchanged lines

Postby jtuc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 pm

You may want to try WinMerge 2011 (https://bitbucket.org/jtuc/winmerge2011):
WinMerge_2011_show_only_differences.png
WinMerge_2011_show_only_differences.png (78.7 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
jtuc
Developer

Re: Hide unchanged lines

Postby julo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 pm

I like the "Hide unchanged lines" feature, but what I am missing is an option which does NOT show the lines "x line(s) excluded". In my case it does not tell me anything new as I have markers in my file, actually page numbers, which I have not identical on purpose so I can readily find any diffs on a page.
If this can be done with the line filter I would be happy to use that, but I have not the slightest idea where to start there, this assumes of course that that is even possible with the filter.

Thanks for listening and your consideration.
julo

Return to Open Discussion