File Open Left Right slash issue

Open discussion about WinMerge.

File Open Left Right slash issue

Postby bugmagnet » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am

Suppose I launch WinMerge, do a File > Open and put a trailing slash on the paths for Left and Right. After doing some difference changes and I ^S to save, I get a dialog about saving, and have to do a File > Save Left > Save As for the Left and the equivalent for the Right.

If I don't put trailing slashes, then ^S just saves without prompting.

Is that a bug or a feature?

-- Bugmagnet
bugmagnet

Re: File Open Left Right slash issue

Postby LongtimeUser » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:36 pm

bugmagnet wrote:Suppose I launch WinMerge, do a File > Open and put a trailing slash on the paths for Left and Right. After doing some difference changes and I ^S to save, I get a dialog about saving, and have to do a File > Save Left > Save As for the Left and the equivalent for the Right.

If I don't put trailing slashes, then ^S just saves without prompting.

Is that a bug or a feature?

-- Bugmagnet

This would be a feature. Putting a trailing slash on a path is explicitly telling the system that you are referring to a directory, not a file. It's the same thing like with a URL, if you put the trailing slash on a web address, you're telling the web server that you want to load the default file inside the directory at the end of the path rather than loading a file of that name in the parent directory. This is standard across many kinds of computing systems, from networking, operating systems and applications. Doing it differently would break with the standard.
LongtimeUser

Return to Open Discussion