What is Winmerge telling me?

Open discussion about WinMerge.

What is Winmerge telling me?

Postby athegn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:20 pm

I took the 128G micro SD card out of my phone and used Windows 10 Explorer, in the PCs SD card slot, to copy the whole contents to a partition(H) on my 4TB Sata hard drive.

When I use Windows Explorer to give me Properties of the SD card is shows Used space 118,902,226,944 bytes and Free space 8,956,411,904 bytes. Whereas (H) is only 53.1GB used.

I looked in Windows 10 Explorer and could not see any differences when open a few files. However Properties on the largest SD card folder showed 88.2GB whereas on the H drive it shows 37.0 GB.

I installed Winmerge and ran that. Not sure what it is telling me.

All files in one folder say "Left only: N:\Music\Ahmad Jamal - Blue Moon"

However if I look at this folder in Windows Explorer both the SD Card (N) and partition (H) show the same sizes for all files in that folder.

Is this a case of Windows 10 mis-reporting in "Properties" and Winmerge being fooled by the same "error"?

Any advice please?
athegn

Re: What is Winmerge telling me?

Postby LesF » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Are you comparing actual files sizes or the "size on disk"?
Size on disk varies because different disk devices have different allocation block sizes, and small files take up at least one block. From memory (I may be wrong) as SD cards got bigger capacity they did not get more addressable clusters, they had to increase the cluster sizes, so used space will appear greater on a large capacity SD.

I usually check directory and file counts first, then sometimes use a WinMerge comparison on selected directories to be sure.

None of which helps with why you get the "left only" comparison result. Hopefully it found them all after a retry?
LesF

Re: What is Winmerge telling me?

Postby Isanen » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:46 pm

athegn wrote:I took the 128G micro SD card out of my phone and used Windows 10 Explorer, in the PCs SD card slot, to copy the whole contents to a partition(H) on my 4TB Sata hard drive.

When I use Windows Explorer to give me Properties of the SD card is shows Used space 118,902,226,944 bytes and Free space 8,956,411,904 bytes. Whereas (H) is only 53.1GB used.

I looked in Windows 10 Explorer and could not see any differences when open a few files. However Properties on the largest SD card folder showed 88.2GB whereas on the H drive it shows 37.0 GB.

I installed Winmerge and ran that. Not sure what it is telling me.

All files in one folder say "Left only: N:\Music\Ahmad Jamal - Blue Moon"

However if I look at this folder in Windows Explorer both the SD Card (N) and partition (H) show the same sizes for all files in that folder.

Is this a case of Windows 10 mis-reporting in "Properties" and Winmerge being fooled by the same "error"?

Any advice please?

I have the same issue!
Isanen

Return to Open Discussion