Is it possible to get a "combined diff view" in WinMerge?

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Is it possible to get a "combined diff view" in WinMerge?

Postby MergeWin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:07 am

First of all, thanks for making this program. I can't describe in words how useful and satisfying it has been to use after setting it up so that I can, at any given time, run a script which creates a new ZIP file of my entire project and then compares it to the last such copy. I would've gone crazy without it. It is truly useful.

However, there is one thing in particular which bothers me, and in spite of looking everywhere in the menus, I cannot find this feature. But maybe it exists anyway. Basically, I sometimes have search-and-replaced some function name or string in *tons* of source code files, so that the "diff view" in WinMerge is a long list of files. In those cases, it is quite tedious to manually click each of them, look at the change, and then open the next, etc.

I wish there were some kind of "combined view" that you could enable in order to turn it into "one long file" (without actually changing the files, of course). That way, I could just keep scrolling down and down to see each change and not have to open each individual file with changes one by one.

Maybe this feature exists, but I doubt it since I've looked so long and hard. Still, even if it doesn't, thanks again for making this program. I have no idea how I ever was able to function without it.

PS: On http://winmerge.org/support/?lang=en , it says "A other way..." when it should be saying "Another way...".
MergeWin

Return to Open Discussion