Feature request: exit application with ESC key

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Feature request: exit application with ESC key

Postby bocklt » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:19 am

Hello,

I've been using WinMerge for a while and found it very useful and well made. Congrats and thanks to all developers involved.
After a few months of idle thumbs I re-installed WinMerge on my new machine and noticed a thing that as I recall (and I might be wrong) wasn't in earlier versions.

Because I have WinMerge integrated with my sourcecontrol system (SVN via TortoiseSVN UI), I'd like to be able to open and close WinMerge very fast - in fact it is one of the feature I like with the soft, that is, it is fast to open.
There is now an options checkbox "Close windows with ESC" which indeed close diff windows, but doesn't close the application. I seem the recall that previously it did.
What I would hope would a feature to automatically close the application when the last diff windows is closed with ESC. Maybe add another similar checkbox? eg: "Close application with ESC when last window close"
It would be very handy and I'd very much appreciate it if this feature could be implemented someday.

Thanks a lot,
-Omar
bocklt
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:11 am

Re: Feature request: exit application with ESC key

Postby kimmov » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 pm

bocklt wrote:Because I have WinMerge integrated with my sourcecontrol system (SVN via TortoiseSVN UI), I'd like to be able to open and close WinMerge very fast - in fact it is one of the feature I like with the soft, that is, it is fast to open.


The -e command line switch is for this purpose - it forces WinMerge to quit when user presses esc key. Installer sets -e command line switch when it adds WinMerge as TortoiseSVN's diff tool.

bocklt wrote:There is now an options checkbox "Close windows with ESC" which indeed close diff windows, but doesn't close the application. I seem the recall that previously it did.


Yes, that option is different thing and for different purpose.

When integrating WinMerge with other tools via command line one should naturally first check available command line options manual

bocklt wrote:What I would hope would a feature to automatically close the application when the last diff windows is closed with ESC. Maybe add another similar checkbox? eg: "Close application with ESC when last window close"
It would be very handy and I'd very much appreciate it if this feature could be implemented someday.


I'd say that kind of option is possible to add. But not a priority as it seems current command line options and GUI options fulfill most needs already.
kimmov
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Feature request: exit application with ESC key

Postby bocklt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:28 am

Hello,

The '-e' option fits perfectly.
I'm sorry I did not actually check the manual for this (I installed WinMerge before TortoiseSVN, thus did not get it by default, and probably had it on my old computer so I thought it was a default thing).

Thanks a lot.
bocklt
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:11 am


Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron