"Binary files are different" but images are identical

Open discussion about WinMerge.

"Binary files are different" but images are identical

Postby LenF » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 am

I have a large number of before and after screenshots which I need to compare. For many of them, the main page lists the files as being different, saying "Binary files are different" in the comparison column. But when I open up the difference, the image viewer says they're identical.

Is there any way I can tell WinMerge that I'm only interested in image differences, and not whatever other binary differences it is finding between the files? It's absolutely not feasible for me to manually open each one of these image comparisons manually, I have hundreds of files to get through.
LenF

Re: "Binary files are different" but images are identical

Postby vertigo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:54 am

You might want to try dupeguru or another software made specifically for image comparison. For what you're trying to do, that would probably work better.
vertigo

Postby LenF » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:49 am

vertigo wrote:You might want to try dupeguru or another software made specifically for image comparison. For what you're trying to do, that would probably work better.

Interesting suggestion. I've just tried dupeguru, and unfortunately it's not what I'm after, since I need to be able to see what the diff is between the images.

WinMerge is really very, very close to what I need, and with that change it would be perfect.

It's for comparing the results of automated testing. Our tests output screenshots and text files. Being able to diff the entire output dir with the reference dir is very handy. For some reason there's some difference in the screenshot files that does not involve image data, depending on the machine that takes the screenshot. That means comparing the same screenshot from two different machines sometimes produces a false positive.

In any case, I've been able to work around the problem by generating the reference data on the same machine that's later going to run tests. Still, it would be nice to have.
LenF

Postby vertigo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:20 am

If you mean you need to be able to compare the images visually, just make sure you do a picture comparison and show the details window.

Though I have to say, I'm finding myself in a situation right now that I could also use what you're asking for. I'm currently scanning the files with dupeguru, and it should do what I need, but if WinMerge could do as you ask--differentiate between image files that are visually identical despite being binary different vs ones that are both visually and binary different, it would make the task significantly easier. I compared a couple directories full of subdirectories, many with more subdirectories, all full of images, and WinMerge shows a ton of differences, but most of them are only different because of differences in tags, whereas the images themselves are the same, and that's all I care about for what I'm trying to do. So I definitely second this request.
vertigo

Return to Open Discussion