How to specify filter/mask based on file name (not ext)

Open discussion about WinMerge.

How to specify filter/mask based on file name (not ext)

Postby wmergercj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:47 am

Hey all,

I have used WinMerge for a while to compare to text documents, but I'm just now beginning to appreciate how WinMerge can help me in comparing 2 directories.

The scenario is, one folder (MainFolder) has many text files with different extensions consisting of information for many different orders. Another folder will have text files with different extensions, but they will all contain information for one order, and will all contain the order ID in the file name (OrderFolder).

I want to compare the files in MainFolder containing the specific order ID in the file name with the files in OrderFolder (which will all contain the order ID in the file name). Thus, I want to specify a file mask that says, only compare files whose names include the specified order ID.

I am trying to learn to do this based on the documentation, but the examples mostly seem to focus on filtering based on file extensions. I want to filter based on file name. Moreover, I tried making my own filter, but the issue is that it excludes files based on the specified name (I also think I'm not doing it properly).

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice anyone can give about how I can accomplish this. Thanks.
wmergercj

Return to Open Discussion