Hex view?

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Hex view?

Postby rotsisermho » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:15 am

Hello,

First I'd like to say that WinMerge is awesome -- thanks for taking the time to make it that way!

That being said, I am a bit confused. I've found a bit of evidence that the newer versions of WinMerge have the ability to compare binary files in "hex mode" but I have no idea how to access it. I see that hekseditU.dll is included in the installation so I'm assuming the support is there, but how do I enable it?

I saw that it was under a context menu in version 2.11.1.8 and then removed after that. Where did it go? I've been waiting a long time to see a feature like this and it looks great in 2.11.1.8. If I could use it in the latest version, I'd be thrilled.

I did notice the thread in the development forum but to me it doesn't seem that any decision was made. If I might add my 2 cents, I'd suggest adding an option somewhere that toggles whether binary files are compared in hex mode or not.

Thanks!
rotsisermho

Re: Hex view?

Postby kimmov » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:32 am

Hex compare is available only in experimental releases. It is disabled from the stable releases.

It simple is not ready for the stable releases as a feature. And requires lots of work to get there. Currently nobody is working with that feature so it will take a while...
kimmov

Postby rotsisermho » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:02 pm

OK, thanks for the info. I hope this feature is included in the release at some point!
rotsisermho

Postby kimmov » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 pm

Personally I doubt it is worth the trouble.

Backend is pretty much done and developed as Frhed editor too. But integrating the Frhed GUI into WinMerge is probably too much trouble.
kimmov

Postby nostromo1983 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 pm

I was wondering why we can do "compare special=>HEX" when doing directory compare and not directly with 2 specified files? Also it would be nice to have the same graphical view of where are the difference with colors, as the non-hex compare.
nostromo1983

Postby jtuc » Fri May 28, 2010 2:30 pm

nostromo1983 wrote:the same graphical view of where are the difference with colors, as the non-hex compare

...probably translates to "location pane".
jtuc
Developer

Postby thebunnyrules » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:54 pm

I've been using VBindiff to compare binaries. It's a console app but it works like a charm and very easy to compile.

I'd like to try the hex compare feature WinMerge though. How do we activate the hex compare element when compiling 2.14? I've already compiled haskell.lib.
thebunnyrules

Return to Open Discussion