Where are the line filters saved?

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Where are the line filters saved?

Postby sf-mensch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I did not found them. There is nothing about the location of line filters in help-file.
What I want to do: copy all my new line filters to different computers. Any suggestions?
sf-mensch

Re: Where are the line filters saved?

Postby kimmov » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:54 pm

sf-mensch wrote:I did not found them.

Line filters are stored in the registry. The path is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Thingamahoochie\WinMerge\LineFilters

sf-mensch wrote:There is nothing about the location of line filters in help-file.

Good point. We need to add this information. Though my hope is we [later] save also linefilters to the filter file. But at least for next release they still are in registry.

sf-mensch wrote:What I want to do: copy all my new line filters to different computers. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately there is no easy way for this. You could do a registry export/import, but direct registry modifications are a bit dangerous always...
kimmov

Postby sf-mensch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 am

Line Filters should really be stored in a file, instead of the registry. The following solution seems to be a "quick and not so dirty" solution for me:
1. WinMerge checks both the current Registry AND a file Winmerge\Filters\LineFilters.lft
2. When MinMerge finds something in the Registry it is added in the LineFilters.lft and removes these entries in the registry

If a line filter is active or not can be saved/read in an easy way:
The "real" line filter starts in column 3 of the file, if a filter is not active a # is put to the first column.

What do you think of this solution?
sf-mensch

Postby kimmov » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 pm

sf-mensch wrote:Line Filters should really be stored in a file, instead of the registry.

Fully agreed.

sf-mensch wrote: The following solution seems to be a "quick and not so dirty" solution for me:
1. WinMerge checks both the current Registry AND a file Winmerge\Filters\LineFilters.lft
2. When MinMerge finds something in the Registry it is added in the LineFilters.lft and removes these entries in the registry

If a line filter is active or not can be saved/read in an easy way:
The "real" line filter starts in column 3 of the file, if a filter is not active a # is put to the first column.

I don't that will work. We'll need totally new fileformat so that old and new can't be mixed by users. Otherwise we cause a lot of confusion when people don't know which kind of fileformat works with which version of WinMerge. And what about users who want to test new versions of WinMerge...

The reason lots of filtering related work hasn't been happening is we first need to figure out and plan how the whole filtering system should work and which kind of user interface (filter files) it needs. Yes, we could start just tweaking existing files and adding more features into them.

But I think the backwards compatibility for filter files between WinMerge versions is very important. If we require people to edit filter files every time they update WinMerge it will cause a lot of unnecessary work and errors when editing.

Some top-level ideas for future filtering:
  • Combine file- and linefilters to same filter file
  • Allow combining file and line-filter so that line filters can be applied to only files that match to certain file filters. Eg. should be possible to have a filter matching *.cpp files and have linefilter1 used for them. And then have a filter matching *py files and have linefilter2 used for them.
  • match file filter to full path or just file/folder (folder name where file resides)
  • apply file filters when doing folder operations (copy, move)
  • allow combining/selecting multiple line/file filters so that you can e.g use two file filters (filter backup files, filter object files) and you can select both of these to filter backup files and object file instead of creating new filter which does it.
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:24 pm

>Line filters are stored in the registry. The path is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Thingamahoochie\WinMerge\LineFilters

Unless somebody objects, I'll add this information to the Help topic on filters.
denisbradford

Postby sf-mensch » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Good idea.
sf-mensch

Return to Open Discussion