Feature request: Diff Pane

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Feature request: Diff Pane

Postby renfrow » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:58 pm

At the bottom of the window, when diffing two files, appears the 'Diff Pane', with two sections, the upper section will show the diffs of the left file, and the lower section the diffs of the right file. I would like to be able to edit in these panes so that I could take some of the changes of either pane and put them in the other, prior to moving/copying those diffs to the other file. This would facilitate the merging of two files containing overlapping diffs that you would like to appear in the result file.

Thanks!

Tom Kimpton.
renfrow

Re: Feature request: Diff Pane

Postby andifor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 am

You can edit in the files in the upper pane. You have to press the refresh button afterwards and the edits are updated in the lower pane.
andifor

Re: Feature request: Diff Pane

Postby gloslyk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:09 am

Hello all, first of all I would like to thanks to all authors and/or developers of great WinMerge software which I preferably using for about 6 years now. :-)
I don't know if it is still relevant or valid, but I would like to add my vote 'voice' to this feature - possibility to edit both sides of compared files directly in bottom area called "Diff Pane". This is specially useful when you are working on files with very long lines and you need to scroll vertically to given part of line very often - beyond right edges of upper (edit) area(s). I know that you can switch upper area to wrap lines by its width, but editing in lower Diff Pane will be still more convenient or intuitive (I think/hope). Isn't there for example some plugin which can allow us to do such things? Thank you very much, Pavel G.
gloslyk

Return to Open Discussion