Show ONLY differences

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Show ONLY differences

Postby bdaoust » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:19 pm

From FAQ:

Can I hide similar lines in a file comparison, so that only different lines are visible?

No, you can't. Many users have requested this feature but we don't have any plans to implement it. We don't believe it would really improve usability.

======================================================================================================

This WOULD be helpful - especially if I can print a report so I can sit down with someone and show them the differences and explain the differences.
bdaoust

Re: Show ONLY differences

Postby kalvaro » Fri May 08, 2009 3:06 pm

You can create a patch from WinMerge and use it in your report. Patches are quite handy to spot differences, esp. if you open then in a text editor with syntax highlighting.
kalvaro

Postby colin496 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm

"Many users have requested this feature but we don't have any plans to implement it. We don't believe it would really improve usability."

So, even though many users want it to improve WinMerge's usability, the development team feels otherwise and will not implement it. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. This could be a great program if perhaps you would LISTEN to people giving positive suggestions. I would really like the 'word' delimeter to be modifiable from space to say pipe or any other character, but I suppose that also wouldn't improve usability...
colin496

Postby kimmov » Thu May 28, 2009 5:07 pm

colin496 wrote:So, even though many users want it to improve WinMerge's usability, the development team feels otherwise and will not implement it. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. This could be a great program if perhaps you would LISTEN to people giving positive suggestions. I would really like the 'word' delimeter to be modifiable from space to say pipe or any other character, but I suppose that also wouldn't improve usability...

So hundreds of bugs fixed and features implemented do not count? Since there is this one feature not implemented...

WinMerge developers listen users a lot more than average open source projects do. And we really would like to implement many of those listed feature requests.

But there is only couple of people working in their spare time with WinMerge code. Meaning couple of hours per day. Now, should we spent all the time for such feature for next couple of months. Or should we try to fix bugs most users see and perhaps add some smaller new features? I simply don't want to put all my time for one feature which some users want.

Its that kind of decision every time. And I have to ignore almost all feature requests nowadays. I simply don't have time for them.
kimmov

Postby malungu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi,

We don't believe it would really improve usability.

this is very strange. As I missed this option in the file compare tool of Total Commander (a file manager, not file merging tool), I was sure that a special tool like Winmerge would offer this functionality. Of course, it would be very useful to see only the differences when comparing two files if these files are very big, but there are only few differences. So I support the request for a "show only differences" option.

malungu
malungu

Postby sweet-papa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 pm

I would love to see this feature. Or at least a feature to select only differences.

I need this feature in my current workflow where I need to select only the differences in a file.

Examdiff has an option to only show differences and then I can select all the differences in a file.

Since WinMerge is my favorite diff tool, I would love to see this feature. Instead I currently have to use 2 tools.
sweet-papa

Postby orangewine6 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:27 am

sweet-papa wrote:I would love to see this feature. Or at least a feature to select only differences.

I need this feature in my current workflow where I need to select only the differences in a file.

Examdiff has an option to only show differences and then I can select all the differences in a file.

Since WinMerge is my favorite diff tool, I would love to see this feature. Instead I currently have to use 2 tools.

get money
ways to make money online
Hi sweet-papa

WinMerge is my favorite diff tool, I would love to see this feature. Instead I currently have to use 2 tools?
orangewine6

Postby gronkygronky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:03 pm

This seems a very odd omission especially since previous versions on WinMerge allowed you to view any combination of:
- Identical Lines
- Different Lines
- Left Only Lines
- Right Only Lines

I don't recall if you could directly write out the view, but you could always cut from the view pane and paste into another program to print or write.

I would love to see this feature returned. Till then, I'm off to search sourceforge & etc for another diff program to do this. Anybody have any recommendations?
gronkygronky

Postby kimmov » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

gronkygronky wrote:This seems a very odd omission especially since previous versions on WinMerge allowed you to view any combination of:
- Identical Lines
- Different Lines
- Left Only Lines
- Right Only Lines

There hasn't been such feature in past 7 years I've been involved. I don't know about 1.x versions... Folder compare allows you to do such selections but not file compare.
kimmov

Postby deasserted » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Please tally another vote for showing "only changes" -- although I only need it in a printout.

We compare code changes in a large peer review group around a conference table. Printing just the changes would save reams of paper over printing the entire code with changes highlighted. Our company therefore uses another program for this meeting (that is not as good as WinMerge). So I have to use separate programs.

This functionality often comes with a "show X lines above and below the change", so the change can be seen in context. It seems like a small feature: when printing, parse down the file, and send to the printer only the lines around and including the change, then a space, then parse on....

Thanks for a great program, otherwise!!
deasserted

Next

Return to Open Discussion