Comlie winmerge in VC 2012 error

Main development forum.

Comlie winmerge in VC 2012 error

Postby closelate » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Has any body tried to build winmerge in Visual studio 2012?
I have got linker error,
1>CVTRES : fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource. type:MANIFEST, name:1, language:0x0409
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
Any instruction is highly appreciated.
closelate

Re: Comlie winmerge in VC 2012 error

Postby thebunnyrules » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 am

In general you get two types of situations that give Linker errors: (1) a method was called for from within the script to an external library that your missing; (2) the same method was defined twice.

I'm guess your error is due to a missing library file. WinMerge codebase was written in VS2010 and the author said that it's backwards compatible all the way to 2003. I'd personally recommend VS2010. Just get a trial ISO from Macroshaft.

See this guid on building it:
https://fossies.org/windows/misc/WinMer ... iling.html

As a general practice, unless you're an advance programmer that can port the code to a different Visual Studio generation, your best bet is to always compile with the same generation VS as the dev. Macroshaft changes alot of syntax, practices and standards with each release of Visual Studio. They probably have legitimate reasons to do this but I suspect it's more of a way of making old version of VS obsolete so that devs keep buying new licenses from them.

The 32bit version is very straight forward to compile. Wasn't able to compile the 64bit one due to a missing library that caused a linker error. Let me know if you get it to work on your end.
thebunnyrules

Return to Developers