Heading to 2.14 stable release

Main development forum.

Heading to 2.14 stable release

Postby kimmov » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 am

It is again time to get preparing for next stable release. We have again several important improvements:
  • Frhed for binary file compare
  • MSI installer
  • Much improved difference highlighting
  • Improved XML file detection
  • Unicode file compare improvements
My ideal release schedule is:
  • One experimental release at middle of July
  • 2.14 stable branch created after experimental release
  • 2.13.20 beta release at begin of August
  • 2.14.0 stable release at end of August
and creating stable branch means there can't be GUI changes affecting translations in the branch.
kimmov

Re: Heading to 2.14 stable release

Postby kimmov » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Obviously none of above happened. Due to various things happening in real life. I hope I have a bit of time for WinMerge too again. So I'll try to make this release to happen in next months. But I cannot promise anything.

As I just released the 2.13.10 experimental release I'd assume we'll have 2.13.20 beta release sometimes in January and 2.14.0 stable release few weeks after that.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm

I think we are otherwise ready for the 2.14 stable release but we need to decide what to do with installer (also here) and 64-bit support.

And 64-bit support is basically blocking all that. We cannot realistically convert to full 64-bit support without somebody actively working with that. Which means we cannot produce 64-bit MSI installer. Which in turn prevents us from totally converting to MSI installer.

So it seems we have to do what we have been done before - to have 32-bit InnoSetup installer which also installs 64-bit shell extension.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 am

I have a Windows 7 64bit machine here at work and want to buy me a 64bit laptop for home. So I could test the 64bit installer! But currently I can't build the 64bit exe/installer, so someone must build the 64bit setups for me.

Btw: Microsoft say, that you need 64bit setups to be "Window 7 Compatible". So we should start with 64bit for the users...
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 am

gerundt wrote:I have a Windows 7 64bit machine here at work and want to buy me a 64bit laptop for home. So I could test the 64bit installer! But currently I can't build the 64bit exe/installer, so someone must build the 64bit setups for me.

Ok, that is great news!

gerundt wrote:Btw: Microsoft say, that you need 64bit setups to be "Window 7 Compatible". So we should start with 64bit for the users...

I had missed that information.. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'm still not ready for releasing 64-bit builds as a stable release. Too much risk for binaries that haven't been tested at all. But we can start creating some test releases to allow people start testing them.

Then perhaps release 2.16 stable release rather quickly with 64-bit binaries...
kimmov

Return to Developers