WinMerge 3.0/4.0?

Main development forum.

WinMerge 3.0/4.0?

Postby kimmov » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:43 am

I've used some time trying to think how to proceed with WinMerge development. As I've stated in earlier discussions (e.g. Basic Questions) I want to start rewriting much of the code and port GUI to QT etc. However that would be a lots of work and we probably won't have anything really useful for at least in year or so, probably for couple of years with current development speed. Which is too long time to keep users waiting for improvements and fixes.

So I've thought of another approach. Which is slower for development but at least gives users improvements and fixes almost the same speed as it was few months ago. After all we do this development for users, not for development itself.

My idea is to have two branches of development:
  1. First is what I've already outlined in Basic Questions to do write lots of code from scratch based on QT. Goal of this branch is to create QT-based GUI for WinMerge.
  2. Second is to start doing big refactorings in current WinMerge code towards the same goal. Like diff-interfacing improvements, filtering improvements etc etc. We must remove rest of the MFC dependencies from non-GUI code and create some interfaces GUI parts can use. So that we can use lots of (most of?) this code with the QT GUI.
As both of these branches will be very different from current WinMerge versions I also suggest we use new version numbers to make this difference very clear. The second refactoring branch versions are 3.x versions. And QT-gui branch versions are 4.x versions.

In practice the QT-GUI branch will be started from scratch. There is really no other good way as the current GUI is designed and implemented with MFC idioms (document/view etc). It would be possible to "port" some things but I think it would be a mess. And the whole point is to get rid of that current mess. I will create this branch in near future to Bitbucket.

Refactoring branch will be a new SVN trunk after the stable branch for next 2.14 stable WinMerge has been created. I hope this will happen during next week. I think I only need to apply couple of patches to current trunk and we are ready for 2.14 branch.
kimmov

Re: WinMerge 3.0/4.0?

Postby gerundt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 am

Sounds like a good way for developers and end-users!
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:43 pm

One related thing is to start using CMake as a build system as discussed in thread Convert using CMake? It will also require some big refactorings.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 am

We've decided that we start developing WinMerge 3.0 as "new generation WinMerge". There is a new forum for discussion about WinMerge 3 development.
kimmov

Return to Developers