Switching to MSI installer

Main development forum.

Re: Switching to MSI installer

Postby gerundt » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 pm

kimmov wrote:Hmm. Just tried to build X64 MSI installer from folder I used for 2.13.10 experimental release (all files compiled) and it failed. Because it tried to find files from Build\x64-folder. Which of course doesn't exist.

I have currently no access to my developer machine and can't test it. You can define the x64 paths in the Config.wxi file:

Config.wxi wrote:...
<?if $(var.Platform) = "x64" ?> <!-- if "x64" platform -->
<?define Win64 = "yes" ?>
<?define PackagePlatform = "x64" ?>
<?define UpgradeGuid = "79F16C51-8485-426E-BF23-F4D3D0D431D7" ?>

<?define ProgramFilesFolder = "ProgramFiles64Folder" ?>
<?define MergeBuildDir = "..\..\Build\x64\MergeRelease" ?>
<?define ExpatBuildDir = "..\..\Build\expat\lib\x64\Release" ?>
<?define PcreBuildDir = "..\..\Build\pcre\lib\x64\Release" ?>

<?define StartMenuShortcutsGuid = "CDC49AA0-DC37-439d-8358-68E2EA9EF909" ?>
<?define DesktopShortcutGuid = "CFF6BDA0-483F-496e-819F-0FC8874C2B9C" ?>

<?define CrtMergeModule = "$(env.CommonProgramFiles)\Merge Modules\Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86_x64.msm" ?>
<?define MfcMergeModule = "$(env.CommonProgramFiles)\Merge Modules\Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86_x64.msm" ?>
<?else ?> <!-- if "x86" platform -->

I hope this helps! :)

Greetings,
Tim
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Continuing this topic since now we are preparing 2.14. stable release (in "fast" continuation of 2.12 stable releases). And Tim submitted a patch to port WiX installer for 2.14 stable release.

My opinion is we must have only one installer for stable release (having more for experimental releases is fine, they are for testing anyway). How could users (and download services for that matter) decide which installer to use/offer if we had two of them?

So if we add WiX installer then we need to drop the InnoSetup installer. Code can stay in SVN but we don't release it.

We've had WiX installer available for some time now. And we've discussed about it in this very topic. But I'm not totally sure about the current status. What exactly is missing from WiX at the moment (compared to InnoSetup)? We definitely need to switch to WiX at some point, no question about that. But the question is if we are ready to do the switch now for 2.14 stable release?
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm

kimmov wrote:But the question is if we are ready to do the switch now for 2.14 stable release?

Specially with the current file size problem, I would say it is not ready to switch!

On the other side maybe some user install WinMerge 2.13.x with MSI setup and can't now not easily update to WinMerge 2.14. (But they should maybe better switch directly to WinMerge 2.15.x! :mrgreen:)

And what is, if we add the MSI setup as additionally setup, but promote it not much? So company admins could rollout WinMerge over there network and such things?
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 pm

No, I don't want to different installer types. They aren't compatible so we must have one clear release where we do the switch and cause all the trouble for the users. If we have two then some sites will offer one and some other. And since result is anyhow a bit different it will be a nightmare to debug possible problems!
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:15 am

Ok, then we should not use the MSI installer for WinMerge 2.4! Maybe we should plan it for WinMerge 2.6...

But we should maybe submit the patch, so user/administrators cloud easier build there own MSI setups.
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 am

You mixed up version numbers... ;)

I really doubt there will be new 2.x stable series after 2.14.x. Or well, with current pace of 3.x development maybe we need one... ;)

The size problem is bad. There is one possibility to update release compiler to VS2010. I haven't yet installed full VS2010 but I probably have to do so soon. But then we would require WinXP Sp3 (Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)). And that is a bit too drastic change now. :(
kimmov

Postby christianlist » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I've added the OpenCandy stuff to the InnoSetup installer now, and it may take several weeks for me to get it added to the msi installer.
So that's one more reason to stay with InnoSetup for the 2.14.* release.

I do agree that long term we should switch to a msi based installer, to make it easy on administrators to roll out WinMerge to large quantities of machines.
christianlist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Developers