Really worried about trunk development!

Main development forum.

Really worried about trunk development!

Postby kimmov » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm getting really worried and frustrated about current trunk status and development. Reading bug reports, patch descriptions forum posts etc it feels to me that it gets worse and worse all the time. When something should be fixed there are dozen of new problems. :x

And the constant "nothing works" shouting doesn't help much. I expect people working with our code to be realistic. There are problems - always has been. But that generalization that "everything is broken" is very bad for all of us. It makes users uncertain if they can use the software safely, it makes other developers wonder what the hell is going on because things that used to work for years are now broken!

Bugs like #2995925 No refreshing after merging difference should never have happened. And I'm shamed I let it past me since I probably applied the patch causing it. No excuses, very poor testing from my side. But also good indicator that I cannot trust people sending patches if this kind of crap is sent. And honestly I have no time to test every single patch for every possible bug.

It seems to me it is impossible to get honest messages from people what the status is. And I don't have the time to spent much time into testing things myself. So I'm in pretty dark about the current status. Which is very bad if we want release in following months. I'm not releasing something I'm not sure it works!

I have to do something sooner or later. Might take couple of months but... One option is reverting to latest stable branch and start applying tested patches to it from current trunk. It is slow to do and lots of work.

But apparently current trunk is getting into mess that might not be solvable otherwise. We need to get the crap out of the current trunk. And only apply patches that we know work.
kimmov

Re: Really worried about trunk development!

Postby matthias1955 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:30 am

you should not think so bad like that.
For your example it is very easy, why it seams to work for years, and now it's broken.
Before we thought our option auto rescan is working, while it doesn't.
So solving that the next problem is coming up. It is a must, as we never had been able to see that.
Same for some other issues. Unicode and folder compare.
In many case you had seen 'oh a plugin, remove it ...'
That's is wrong. A good program must have such extentions. Many people asked for.
Till now I didn't found a single report where a plugin realy has really broken down Winmerge.

You cannot check all, that's fact. As long you don't use such files and combinations of options, you will never have a problem.
Exact for that we have the tracker bugreports.
Only we must try to solve these reports as soon as possible.
Often it is trivial to solve, sometimes it is not.
In case of reports which are realy no bugs , but new important features, we must move same to our
ToDo list or Feature Requests.
Maybe it is better to splitt that tracker in some cases like GUI, engines,etc.. likely we have it in our code.
matthias1955

Postby jtuc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 am

One option is reverting to latest stable branch and start applying tested patches to it from current trunk.

Yes, pleeease! Current situation could hardly be more frustrating.

One thing I thought about was that we might have been a bit too aggressive about converting MFC to STL. Now that it is clear that WinMerge 3 will be a complete rewrite, there should be less demand for WinMerge 2 to move away from MFC.
jtuc
Developer

Postby matthias1955 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:42 pm

why to go back?
It is not so much to do.
foldercompare and unicode is a must. It had never worked without using a plugin.
I couldn't find a version where it was working.
Converting MFC to STL is also not the problem.
To have an other editor would be nice only.

We must see the single tree inside the forrest.

We are not so far away from a stable version.
matthias1955

Postby kimmov » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:03 pm

matthias1955 wrote:We are not so far away from a stable version.

And everywhere else you keep telling me how broken everything is... Based on your own words in this very topic I get the feeling nothing works in folder compare and especially everything in Unicode is broken. How come we could be near stability then? See, there is no any consistency in "status" messages I see.

And what did broke everything? Things have been working well earlier. You seriously think people would not complain loudly if WinMerge compare is so bad you make it sound?

I've seen so many "Unicode" fixes that I've lost count. And still everything is broken. So what (if anything?) was really fixed? Or did we just broke things more? It is impossible to say. I've tried to push some tests for Unicode compare but sounds like it is impossible to do.

jtuc wrote:Yes, pleeease! Current situation could hardly be more frustrating.

Especially when I thought we could do "final" 2.x release soon and forget most of these problems we've tried to handle for years... But now I'm worried to release even experimental releases anymore. Since last stable release is so old already lots of people are using experimental releases since some web sites show them as latest versions...

jtuc wrote:One thing I thought about was that we might have been a bit too aggressive about converting MFC to STL. Now that it is clear that WinMerge 3 will be a complete rewrite, there should be less demand for WinMerge 2 to move away from MFC.

Yep, this was probably a mistake. But at the time it sounded like a good idea if there would have been more development resources and we could continue evolving current codebase. Instead of now apparent rewriting. But granted, many bugs were added by just this conversion work.
kimmov

Postby matthias1955 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:20 pm

It is not so difficult as it seams.
Many bugreports since years are realy related to one big problem
Foldercompare and unicode.

There are three main bugs:

counting diffs, etc
Linefilter not working is defnitly related here.
foldercompare says same, filecompare says different.

I can't test all bugs, as I don't have that files.
In some of last reports on that issue we had a good discuss and come allways to the same result unifile UTF16-LE.

Let's solve that one, than many problems will go.
matthias1955

Postby kimmov » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:04 pm

What are the bugs? Do we have them in bug-tracker?
kimmov

Postby matthias1955 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:08 am

ID: 2956597 Folder compare says no diffs, but file compare detects diff
ID: 2907065 Folder Compare Not Finding All Differences
ID: 2801578 full contents does not handle unicodefile in folder compare
ID: 2794521 Folder compare incorrectly showing: text files identical
ID: 2785077 Line filter doesn't work properly in folder compare mode
ID: 2688308 Different results when comparing folder or file
ID: 2129989 file based diffs to not apply 'linefilters'

these I found in a quick look.
matthias1955

Postby kimmov » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Lets take quick look at those items...

ID: 2956597 - No idea about the actual problem except that FUD of everything being totally broken
ID: 2907065 - Looked like valid bug but the FUD makes me ignore it
ID: 2801578 - this I won't touch anymore with a long stick - I don't know what it is about and all the FUD just makes me ignore it totally for now on.
ID: 2794521 - once again FUD comes into play...

So the pattern everywhere is that Unicode is just totally broken and it causes all the problems from installing onwards. And I expect line filters are also broken in other items. So nothing works. No, I'm totally uninterested listening any more of this. And its not easy to fix - it is incredible mess. And you don't really help by providing good information.
kimmov

Postby jtuc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:23 am

kimmov wrote:And you don't really help by providing good information.

I strongly disagree. Matthias has accurately identified that part of unicode support (essentially the part related to folder compare) is broken because at some point in history we removed the conversion to UTF-8 that used to take place before passing files to diffutils. Patch #3012200 is to that extent based on the insight provided by Matthias. I do confess it was a bit of an effort to get the point from the related threads, which seem to almost inevitably end up in a mess of unrelated posts. I'd like to see fewer and more elaborate posts. And clear references where applicable. If post to bug tracker refers to "my patch", then how would anybody else know which patch I'm referring to?
jtuc
Developer

Next

Return to Developers