Branch created for 2.12 stable release

Main development forum.

Branch created for 2.12 stable release

Postby kimmov » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:17 am

I've just created new branch to SVN for 2.12 stable release. The branch is in 'branches' folder and named as 'R2_12'.

https://winmerge.svn.sourceforge.net/sv ... ches/R2_12

This is long overdue branching as I've been waiting for some things to happen in trunk first. Namely the situation of Frhed/heksedit integration. As it now has become clear we can't include Frhed/heksedit in 2.12 stable branch (see the my posts in developers forum).

My initial plan is to release a 2.10.2 beta release (first 2.10.x beta!) in middle of January. That will also be the translations freeze release. After that release only bug fixes will be accepted to the branch. 2.12.0 stable release follows in few weeks after the beta release.

Absence of beta release is remarkable. But there are couple of reasons I haven't been doing them:
- there are no big new features or improvements we could really show for users
- latest beta releases didn't get many downloads.

Second point is important. If users don't download and test these releases, what is the point in doing them? I think we need to change our release policy for beta releases.
kimmov

Re: Branch created for 2.12 stable release

Postby gerundt » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:31 pm

kimmov wrote:My initial plan is to release a 2.10.2 beta release (first 2.10.x beta!) in middle of January.

Do you meen 2.11.2 or? :D

kimmov wrote:Second point is important. If users don't download and test these releases, what is the point in doing them? I think we need to change our release policy for beta releases.

Our homepage shows now the project news and the download page shows the project file releases. Maybe we get on this way more testers?
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:14 pm

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:My initial plan is to release a 2.10.2 beta release (first 2.10.x beta!) in middle of January.

Do you meen 2.11.2 or? :D

Whoops! 2.11.2 of course...

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:Second point is important. If users don't download and test these releases, what is the point in doing them? I think we need to change our release policy for beta releases.

Our homepage shows now the project news and the download page shows the project file releases. Maybe we get on this way more testers?

I don't actually believe so.

The thing is our experimental releases get lots of visibility in different downoload services (BetaNews being the best example). If people are ready to risk their files and data with experimental releases, what extra will beta release offer for them?

I haven't even seen anybody asking about for us releasing 2.11.2 beta release. So why release when people don't need them...
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:39 pm

I've just merged the last GUI patch (I hope!) to the 2.12 branch. The patch was the new shell integration options panel.

I think we are ready for the 2.12 beta in next week. There are couple of known issues that should be fixed for the final stable release. But I don't expect these get fixed in few days. So better to release something than to keep delaying the release.

Issues are (any help welcome with these):
Are there other bugs that should be listed? Kind of bugs that we must fix for the 2.12 release?
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:05 pm

kimmov wrote:Are there other bugs that should be listed? Kind of bugs that we must fix for the 2.12 release?

I found today two annoying bugs:
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Perfect timing :)

#2528749 is now fixed and I'll start looking at #2529517 briefly...
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Should be fixed now in trunk and 2.12 branch.

I also noticed I had forgot one GUI change from 2.12 branch:
  • BUG: [ 2493945 ] Crash if one of the diffed file was erased by another applic
which I also merged to 2.12 branch.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:28 am

I was going to release the beta release this week. But thinking about the fixes for trunk and merged to 2.12 branch past days I decided it is safer to do one more experimental release to test these fixes.

But I hope 2.11.10 beta release can be done next week.
kimmov

Return to Developers