Sf.net downloads -page restructuring

Main development forum.

Re: Sf.net downloads -page restructuring

Postby kimmov » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:19 pm

sf-mensch wrote:We could rename old versions, too but not via that nice SF interface (would need weeks...). Maybe via SFTP/SCP/Shell services (I would need Shell rights for that). For all this renaming we have to keep in mind one thing - the file counters for these files are likely to be reset.

Yeah, that sounds very unpractical to do. And we don't care about old releases so much. We've been just nice to have all old releases available.

I don't personally care about Sf.net download counts. It is misleading and quite useless number as count. But of course it is nice to know the magnitude of the downloads - is it thousands or hundreds of thousands. But of course some people like big numbers so we should not upset them by resetting those numbers! :lol:
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:24 pm

On a related note I'd like to release next experimental/alpha release during next week. Exact day depends on which day I find enough time for it. I guess this release will still happen with current scheme? If we change release names etc we need to also update some documentation. Not a big task but we just need to remember to do it.
kimmov

Postby sf-mensch » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Hm, I'm not 100% sure if it's OK to begin renaming and moving folders? The files would come afterwards because I would need Shell access for that.
Are there any objections to the last suggestion I made?

sf-mensch
sf-mensch

Postby gerundt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 pm

sf-mensch wrote:The files would come afterwards because I would need Shell access for that.

Want we really renaming the old files too? The new folder structure is one thing, but with new file names we break everything. Even the http://downloads.sourceforge.net/winmerge/abc.xyz won't work!

It is ok, if we change the file name shema for new files but not for old files.
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby sf-mensch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Hm, yes I agree - and not only because this saves me some work ;):
  • let's change folder names (and give them nice labels)
  • let's change file name scheme for new files - old should stay as the are

If there are no objections to the new folder structure until Wednesday, I'll change the current one. You can delay me by objecting here :-).

sf-mensch
sf-mensch

Postby kimmov » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:36 am

And I think it is best to do things in here with smaller steps. And I think the folder re-structuring is obvious first step. Once it is in place we can see how it looks and if people start complaining they can't find releases anymore. :)
kimmov

Postby sf-mensch » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:51 am

I added a new FR #3085080 for folder renaming and solved it. The original release not bug #3056692 is fixed, too.
Maybe someone can add me to the "Assigned to" list, for being able to assign file release stuff to me later on. The links on winmerge.org seem to be in short version and therefore still work. The folder links work to and link to the renamed folders.

I hope my help was somehow valuable.

sf-mensch
sf-mensch

Postby kimmov » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I've added you as technician for all our trackers now and assigned those two items for you.
kimmov

Previous

Return to Developers