Short WinMerge description in homepage title

Main development forum.

Short WinMerge description in homepage title

Postby gerundt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:44 pm

I think we need a short description about WinMerge in the homepage title.

Currently is the title from the homepage just "WinMerge". If you for example search for compare text files at Google, you see us at position 3 with the title "WinMerge". I think it would be more user-friendly, if we have a short description about WinMerge at this title too. And it would be also good for our Google page rank! :mrgreen:

What do you think about "WinMerge - Open Source Diff & Merge Tool for Windows" as homepage title?

The title should not be to long, so I don't used "differencing and merging tool" and also use the most Google search queries the words "merge" and "diff"...
gerundt
Site Admin

Re: Short WinMerge description in homepage title

Postby kimmov » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:45 pm

gerundt wrote:I think we need a short description about WinMerge in the homepage title.

I'm not sure about this? Not everythging needs to be excessively verbose. We aren't selling anything. People look for WinMerge...

gerundt wrote:Currently is the title from the homepage just "WinMerge". If you for example search for compare text files at Google, you see us at position 3 with the title "WinMerge". I think it would be more user-friendly, if we have a short description about WinMerge at this title too. And it would be also good for our Google page rank! :mrgreen:

Personal taste, but I like simple 'WinMerge'. And as your example shows it also differentiates us from others that want every possible keyword in their title. Should we have "Best ever produced free compare tool that rules the world!"? :D

gerundt wrote:What do you think about "WinMerge - Open Source Diff & Merge Tool for Windows" as homepage title?

The title should not be to long, so I don't used "differencing and merging tool" and also use the most Google search queries the words "merge" and "diff"...

I wouldn't be worried about Google not finding us.. Smaller projects are and those shareware programs that need to sell themselves with marketing.

Perhaps couple of more words don't matter but please don't make it look like cheap marketing.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:22 pm

kimmov wrote:I'm not sure about this? Not everythging needs to be excessively verbose. We aren't selling anything. People look for WinMerge...

Ok, we don't sell anything, but we still need users! Or did you do the hard work of a new WinMerge release just for you? :mrgreen:

People who know WinMerge of course just search for "WinMerge". But what is with people who WinMerge didn't know? I think they should have a change to find this wonderful program! And maybe we find on this way also some users, who help us, on which way ever...

kimmov wrote:Personal taste, but I like simple 'WinMerge'. And as your example shows it also differentiates us from others that want every possible keyword in their title. Should we have "Best ever produced free compare tool that rules the world!"? :D

Sounds cool, but have not so many good keywords for Google! ;)

kimmov wrote:I wouldn't be worried about Google not finding us.. Smaller projects are and those shareware programs that need to sell themselves with marketing.

Even if Firefox is a good browser, I think he won't be so prominent without his marketing. So it is not only a thing for small projects and shareware programs.

kimmov wrote:Perhaps couple of more words don't matter but please don't make it look like cheap marketing.

No, it should not be look cheap! And it should be always user-friendly!
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 am

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:I'm not sure about this? Not everythging needs to be excessively verbose. We aren't selling anything. People look for WinMerge...

Ok, we don't sell anything, but we still need users! Or did you do the hard work of a new WinMerge release just for you? :mrgreen:

People seem to find WinMerge really well. Look at our download statistics. Almost 1.5 million downloads last year...

gerundt wrote:Even if Firefox is a good browser, I think he won't be so prominent without his marketing.

Well, Firefox has paid staff for marketing, tens of paid developers... Not very fair comparison...

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against making WinMerge easier to find for users as such. So if you think we need more keywords etc, go ahead and add them!
kimmov

Return to Developers