Trac added to SourceForge.net Hosted Apps

Main development forum.

Trac added to SourceForge.net Hosted Apps

Postby gerundt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Trac added to SourceForge.net Hosted Apps:

Jacob Moorman wrote:Hello,

On 2009-01-09, we launched Trac, the popular bug tracking, wiki, and repository browsing application as part of our Hosted Apps offering. Trac is now available on an opt-in basis for projects (via Hosted Apps) and for per-developer instances (via Hosted Apps for Developers).

Our Hosted Apps offering, available to both developers and projects, now includes ten applications: phpBB (forum), MediaWiki (wiki), LimeSurvey (surveys), Piwik (web analytics), MantisBT (bug tracking), dotProject (project management), URL shortening, Gallery (image gallery), Laconica (microblogging), and Trac (bug tracking, wiki). Future expansion of the Hosted Apps offering will be announced to the Site Status forum.

Trac includes a number of features including:
  • wiki
  • bug tracking
  • project management (milestones)
  • Subversion repository browsing

Trac's approach to these features is tightly integrated. Commits may reference a bug ticket. Wiki text may be used within a bug ticket. Trac includes extensive search and reporting capabilities to help locate data quickly across all of its features.

A demo of Trac is provided by hosted-projects.com. Additional information on Trac is available in the FAQ and documentation provided by the project.

We're confident that Trac will provide substantial value to SourceForge.net projects. Several of the SourceForge.net site teams have been using Trac (and derivatives) internally for managing our own development activity.

Projects may opt-in for Trac service through the Hosted Apps section of their Project Admin pages.

Developers may opt-in for Trac service through the My Hosted Apps page.

If you have any questions or feedback regarding this new service, please submit a Support Request at https://sourceforge.net/projects/alexandria/support/

Thank you,

Jacob Moorman
Director of Operations, SourceForge.net

This could be something for WinMerge, or? :!:
gerundt
Site Admin

Re: Trac added to SourceForge.net Hosted Apps

Postby kimmov » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Definitely an interesting news! I already was happy to see MantisBT in application listing.

If this was only my decision and we didn't have all those existing trackers with lots of data in them I'd switch immediately to Trac.

But the problem is we either have to find a way to move current data to trac or have all that data in two places. Which would them mix our shortcut urls etc.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:14 pm

kimmov wrote: If this was only my decision and we didn't have all those existing trackers with lots of data in them I'd switch immediately to Trac.

But the problem is we either have to find a way to move current data to trac or have all that data in two places. Which would them mix our shortcut urls etc.

So I did a bit of googling and found out there actually is a Python script coming with Track that does the conversion!

sourceforge2trac.py
I quickly looked through the code and it seems it would work for us with small changes (like adding our Todo-tracker).
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:14 pm

...and that was assuming we could access Trac installation from shell. Now that I look at it I cannot even find a docs how to connect to the new shell service. And even if I could open the shell, I doubt there is access to Track data/config...

So nice idea and surely valuable tool for new projects without many existing tracker items yet. But if there is no obvious way to import the data from sf.net trackers to Trac its no much use for us.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Argh! I just tried to look at our current (way too long!) bug list and got confused after couple of pages. I just hoped we could switch to Trac. But then we either have to lose all current data or use two system at the same time. Both options are bad. :evil:
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:34 pm

But then.. Nothing/nobody forces us to use tracker @ sf.net. Maybe we could switch using Trac/some other tracker system in some other service. Or even in WinMerge.org?

New sf.net trackers are simply unusable. :evil:
kimmov

Return to Developers