MSI installer?

Main development forum.

Re: MSI installer?

Postby gerundt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:57 am

I read yesterday on a German Microsoft page, that a 32bit MSI setup can't include 64bit components. Only a 64bit setup can include 32 and 64bit components.

Takashi has 64bit builds on his website so it seems to work! :)
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:10 am

I would hoped we don't yet need to deliver 64-bit versions of our executables. Even though we can compile them, there are still lots of warnings during the build. So I wouldn't trust those executables much yet. They need a lot of testing. And the fact is there isn't so many people running 64-bit Windows yet. So I'm a bit worried about how much testing there will be.

But then, people cannot test until we deliver 64-bit version. So perhaps it is time to start delivering 64-bit versions as highly experimental. I already committed a fix for the project files in current trunk so it should build again.

What do you think, is it hard to get 64-bit MSI installer in condition we could deliver it? Or would it be easier to create Innosetup version of the 64-bit installer?
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 am

kimmov wrote:What do you think, is it hard to get 64-bit MSI installer in condition we could deliver it? Or would it be easier to create Innosetup version of the 64-bit installer?

No, I think I can build a 64bit MSI installer! But can I build a 64bit WinMerge on a 32bit machine?

Btw: In Takashi's source packages are a 64bit InnoSetup script.
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 am

gerundt wrote:No, I think I can build a 64bit MSI installer! But can I build a 64bit WinMerge on a 32bit machine?
Yes, I do it every time I build 64-bit shell extension. Look at the compiling instructions for VS2003. With VS2005 it might be tricky, you need to create new 64-bit target as we don't have it. With VS2008 you can just use project/solution files Takashi added.

I don't know yet how we should handle building 64-bit targets. Perhaps by adding VS2005 compatible project/solution files replacing current VS2008 project/solution files.

gerundt wrote:Btw: In Takashi's source packages are a 64bit InnoSetup script.

I didn't notice that. I need to look at it...
kimmov

Previous

Return to Developers