Help with new Unpack filter

Main development forum.

Help with new Unpack filter

Postby rivimey » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 am

Folks,

I decided today to have a go at making a WinMerge unpack file plugin. It's job is simple: call another executable with the infile and outfile parameters to do the work. I looked at the DisplayXML and Convert MSWord plugins and coded up something in VB.NET on VS 2010 Pro. As that failed to work I compiled a debug WinMerge build and used that to determine that at least part of the problem is that the LoadTypeLib call is failing in the Plugins.cpp file.

The VB code does implement the properties, and the UnpackFile and PackFile functions. I included the COM awareness flags and the Com attributes on the class definition. I copied over the class and interface GUIDs from the DisplayXML plugin to see if that helps, but it didn't.

I'm stumped now: any suggestions? I have no problem posting the project code if that helps... though I'm not sure what the "approved" method for that is here. The main issue is that the dll is noticed but rejected as not being a valid plugin.

Ruth
rivimey

Re: Help with new Unpack filter

Postby jtuc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:51 pm

WinMerge 2011 does the job with the help of a few lines of VBScript.
Things are particularly easy if the invoked executable can write its output to stdout.
See http://forums.winmerge.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=352&start=10#p1399 for an example.
jtuc
Developer

Return to Developers