Manual updates

Main development forum.

Re: Manual updates

Postby kimmov » Thu May 07, 2009 12:18 pm

Sorry I forgot to comment your patch. :( I'm looking at it now and add couple of comments I had in my mind.
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Mon May 18, 2009 12:08 pm

FYI: Checked in -r6761 to trunk. These are doc changes to address Patches #2433648 and #2189315, and miscellaneous small edits.
denisbradford

Postby denisbradford » Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Checked in -r6773 to trunk. Doc changes:

Compare_dirs.xml: modify general compare icons.
Compare_files.xml: allow file reloading during rescan, list shortcuts after function descriptions.
Install.xml: add WM to system path.
Configuration.xml: add Open dialog on startup.
Version_control: typo.
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Fri May 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Great!

Btw, do you have any idea when your updates are "ready" for 2.12.x? I'm just thinking when to release 2.12.4... No hurry, just asking if you have some idea...
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Tue May 26, 2009 12:22 pm

RE: Bug#2113054, Patch #2129095, Release note on "Unset WinMerge integration from ClearCase".

Sanity check on what users need to do for CC integration.

According to the release note, you must edit the map file to remove the WM integration.
But the patch indicates that you can just rename the backup file that was created by the installer, instead of editing it.

What am I misunderstanding?

thanks,
Denis
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm

denisbradford wrote:According to the release note, you must edit the map file to remove the WM integration.
But the patch indicates that you can just rename the backup file that was created by the installer, instead of editing it.

Oh, I've forgotten to update the release notes. :cry:

Current installer creates backup file of the map file, so you can just replace the modified map file with backup file. Of course editing the modified works too.
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Thu May 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Checked in doc for ClearCase map backup in -r6797 on trunk. Please take a quick look at the new section in Version_control.xml titled, "About the ClearCase integration", in case I missed something.

Thanks,
Denis

P.S. That's it for 2.12 features that I wanted to doc. If there's time, I'd like to make a few last, quick housekeeping changes.

1. Move Quickstart to after installation. You can't do the Quickstart until you've installed WinMerge!

2. I'd like to change topic ids so that xml files generate html files with the same names. For example, it complicates authoring a bit that Intro_diffs.xml generates IntroductDiffing.html. Exception: no change to the home page, which will remain WinMerge_help.xml > index.html. This is an internal change that should have no impact on content, I believe.

Any objections?
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Thu May 28, 2009 5:25 pm

denisbradford wrote:Checked in doc for ClearCase map backup in -r6797 on trunk. Please take a quick look at the new section in Version_control.xml titled, "About the ClearCase integration", in case I missed something.

Thanks, will look at it later today.

denisbradford wrote:P.S. That's it for 2.12 features that I wanted to doc. If there's time, I'd like to make a few last, quick housekeeping changes.

There is at least week. I think I can release at end of next week or begin of the following week. No hard dates, depends how I find time.

denisbradford wrote:1. Move Quickstart to after installation. You can't do the Quickstart until you've installed WinMerge!

I think my idea was to have Quickstart at begin so user finds it fast (without lots of clicking and scrolling) when he wants some help. Or people just want to look from online manual what WinMerge offers. But of course it is a bit weird ordering, so I don't mind it "fixed".

We have been liberal in updating docs for bug fix releases. But moving chapters around might be more than users expect from bug fix. But I don't think it can confuse anybody so I guess it is OK change for 2.12.x too.

denisbradford wrote:2. I'd like to change topic ids so that xml files generate html files with the same names. For example, it complicates authoring a bit that Intro_diffs.xml generates IntroductDiffing.html. Exception: no change to the home page, which will remain WinMerge_help.xml > index.html. This is an internal change that should have no impact on content, I believe.

I'm fine with the change. I think I just picked some names when we moved the content from HTML pages to Docbook. But as it has no visible effect I doubt 2.12.x gains any advantage of it.
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Thu May 28, 2009 6:21 pm

kimmov wrote:I think my idea was to have Quickstart at begin so user finds it fast (without lots of clicking and scrolling) when he wants some help. Or people just want to look from online manual what WinMerge offers.

I think that's a good idea, so I'd like to wait on this change and think about the next release. Maybe one way to keep your original intention and fix the problem is to make it a Quick Tour instead of a Quick Start. We could show the same things, I'd just need to make it a demo instead of a procedure. Also, that way we wouldn't duplicate the procedures in the 'Comparing and merging *' topics.
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Thu May 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I don't know if it would be easy/doable to have separate "quick introduction" doc. Which could be linked in separate menu item. Kind of "quick start" -cards coming with many software packages.
kimmov

PreviousNext

Return to Developers