Manual updates

Main development forum.

Re: Manual updates

Postby denisbradford » Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 pm

kimmov wrote:I don't know if it would be easy/doable to have separate "quick introduction" doc. Which could be linked in separate menu item. Kind of "quick start" -cards coming with many software packages.
Sure, maybe right after Release Notes in the menu. If you like I can submit a standalone HTML doc (still sourced in DocBook) based on the current Quick Start, just to see how it works.
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Thu May 28, 2009 8:18 pm

More I think this more I like the idea of new menuitem. It allows user to get the first help fast with one click, not wandering through lots of links etc.

Yes, if you can submit a patch, we can test it in experimental release(s). So we perhaps get some user feedback and also get some feeling how it works. If separate doc doesn't feel right we can just open the manual from quick start -page.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Fri May 29, 2009 8:08 am

denisbradford wrote:Checked in doc for ClearCase map backup in -r6797 on trunk. Please take a quick look at the new section in Version_control.xml titled, "About the ClearCase integration", in case I missed something.

I haven't myself never used WinMerge witj CC so I only know what others have told. But based on what I know the content looks good.

One note though. WinMerge does not really "uninstall" CC integration when options-dialog option is changed. Nothing is changed in CC. We only tell other WinMerge code to not try to activate CC. Integration from CC must be always disabled by hand (editing/replacing the map file). Yes, this two-way integration is confusing...
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 pm

kimmov wrote:WinMerge does not really "uninstall" CC integration when options-dialog option is changed. Nothing is changed in CC. We only tell other WinMerge code to not try to activate CC. Integration from CC must be always disabled by hand (editing/replacing the map file). Yes, this two-way integration is confusing...

OK, I completely missed that, need to fix it in the docs. I don't have CC either: do you know if setting the CC integration during install enables both types of integration?
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 pm

No, installer sets the integration into CC. So that CC opens WinMerge as its diff tool. Same way installer adds WinMerge as diff tool for TortoiseSVN. I think part of the confusion is because CC is the only tool having these both ways of integration.

WinMerge options dialog only controls what WinMerge does. It does not change other program's settings or files.
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Fri May 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Committed r6805 on trunk: Updated VCS integration information in Version_control.xml , Configuration.xml, and Install.xml.
denisbradford

Postby denisbradford » Fri May 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Committed r6806 on trunk: changes ids in doc sources so HTML has same file names as XML. Updated reference to HTML file in build_htmlhelp.xsl.
denisbradford

Postby denisbradford » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Committed r6807 on trunk: updated headtitle.suffix in build_html.xsl. This outputs the WM version in the HTML head element. It was out of date, said '2.10'.
denisbradford

Postby kimmov » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:38 am

Can you merge your commits from trunk to 2.12 branch. I guess most (if not all) are good for 2.12?

Seems I don't have time to release 2.12.4 this week. But I'll try to make the release next Tuesday.
kimmov

Postby denisbradford » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 pm

kimmov wrote:Can you merge your commits from trunk to 2.12 branch. I guess most (if not all) are good for 2.12?

Seems I don't have time to release 2.12.4 this week. But I'll try to make the release next Tuesday.

A few questions, since I don't merge every day:

I plan to merge just the Manual folder. There'll be one conflict (replaceables.xml) that I'll fix before committing.

2.12 branch was created in r6202, so I would merge range 6202-<current>.

I don't have commandline svn on Windows, assume TortoiseSVN merge works okay.

If this makes sense to you, I'll do the merge.
denisbradford

PreviousNext

Return to Developers