Moving all translation files to one folder structure

Main development forum.

Moving all translation files to one folder structure

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 am

This was earlier discussed in developers-mailing list and I think it is now good time to do this.

The main point of this move is to gather all translatable files into one place. So they are easier to found by translators and easier to manage. Currently our translatable files are badly scattered all around the folder tree. Currently many translators simply don't find all files to translate and don't know about their existence. So many translators just end up translating only the executable.

In short, I will move all translated files into subfolders of new top-level folder Translations. So in practice we'll have:
  • Translations/Docs/Readme
  • Translations/Installer/InnoSetup
  • Translations/ShellExtension
  • Translations/Web
  • Translations/WinMerge
These are not yet final paths, so feel free to suggest different structure. There might be some problems with Shell extension translation files so we might not be able to move them. Also the documentation folder structure is not clear. Should we add own folder for every doc or keep them all in one folder.

And what about manual. It consists of many xml files and screenshots. So we may need something like this:
  • Translations/Docs/Manual/German
  • Translations/Docs/Manual/German/screenshots
  • Translations/Docs/Manual/French
  • Translations/Docs/Manual/French/screenshots

Perhaps we should use per-language folder inside Docs folder:
  • Translations/Docs/German
  • Translations/Docs/German/Manual
  • Translations/Docs/German/Manual/screenshots
  • Translations/Docs/French
  • Translations/Docs/French/Manual
  • Translations/Docs/French/Manual/screenshots
Since this causes changes to building, installer, etc I'll start doing these movements after next experimental release.
kimmov

Re: Moving all translation files to one folder structure

Postby gerundt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 am

kimmov wrote:And what about manual. It consists of many xml files and screenshots. So we may need something like this: [...]

Instead of a own manual for each language, we could maybe use xml2po like the Gimp and Gnome developers:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gimp-help-2/trunk/

The create PO files from the DocBook XML files, which can easier translate from users. Later, the build translated DocBook XML files from this PO files. xml2po is written in Python, so we could use it under Windows too.
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:46 am

gerundt wrote:Instead of a own manual for each language, we could maybe use xml2po like the Gimp and Gnome developers:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gimp-help-2/trunk/

The create PO files from the DocBook XML files, which can easier translate from users. Later, the build translated DocBook XML files from this PO files. xml2po is written in Python, so we could use it under Windows too.

Interesting idea! I didn't know about such tool. Sounds like what we want to do.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:32 am

I started new thread Manual translations about translating manual.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:33 pm

I'll be doing this folder movement in begin of next week. So few days left to comment on folder structure and names.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 am

Like I wrote in the Manual translations thread, I like personally Translations\Docs\Manual\Language more. But I am fine, if you use a other folder structure. :)

And we should use for new language projects names like "de" and "fr" instead "German" and "French"...
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 am

Ok, clearly we need more time then.

We must have consistency with our structure. Otherwise this whole moving is quite pointless work. We can perhaps live with one exception, but having every component in different structure won't work.

So there are two important questions:
  1. where to have the language in paths
  2. whether to use written language names (e.g. German, French), only language codes (de, fr) or language + country codes (de_DE, fr_FR) or some mix of these
Using language names repeat the problems we already have (eg. Portugese/Brazilian). And this is simply wrong and confusing naming. We need to fix it. Just language codes are not enough and still repeat the problem. So my suggestion is to use language + country code so that we use language code when it uniqely identifies the translation. And only when needed add the country code. So German language file/folder names would contain only language code, but for Portugese we need also the country code.

The folder structure is not so easy. Since there are components having just one translated file and components having many translated files and even subfolders.

I understand Tim's point. So I'd suggest we add the language to the path only when needed. So in most cases we have paths like:
  • Translations/WinMerge
This works when there is one file to translate and filenames contain translation name. And when there are several files or files with the same name we'll add language code (+ country code) to the end of the path:

• Translations\Docs\User\langcode_countrycode
  • Translations\Docs\Manual\langcode_countrycode
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:07 am

kimmov wrote:So my suggestion is to use language + country code so that we use language code when it uniqely identifies the translation. And only when needed add the country code. So German language file/folder names would contain only language code, but for Portugese we need also the country code.

This seems a common way, if you look for example at the translations from Debian.

kimmov wrote:So I'd suggest we add the language to the path only when needed. So in most cases we have paths like:
  • Translations/WinMerge

Sounds good to me!

kimmov wrote:This works when there is one file to translate and filenames contain translation name. And when there are several files or files with the same name we'll add language code (+ country code) to the end of the path:

Sounds good to me too! Did you really mean "Translations\Docs\User\langcode_countrycode"? And not "Translations\Docs\Readme\langcode_countrycode"?
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 am

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:This works when there is one file to translate and filenames contain translation name. And when there are several files or files with the same name we'll add language code (+ country code) to the end of the path:

Sounds good to me too! Did you really mean "Translations\Docs\User\langcode_countrycode"? And not "Translations\Docs\Readme\langcode_countrycode"?

Oh, good point!

I thought we could have translated user files in one folder since readme files already have language name in them. so Translations\Docs\User\ folder would contain translated readme files and other translated user files (contributors list, GPL?).

But, it is possible to have all files in separate folders too.

One point to remember is we should not change filenames or structure of files we install for user. Otherwise the install/update/uninstall gets interesting... Especially if user wants to try different versions.

Yes, we probably need to do some changes, but we need to plan them carefully. One of the first changes would be to install translated readme files with translations.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:39 am

kimmov wrote:I thought we could have translated user files in one folder since readme files already have language name in them. so Translations\Docs\User\ folder would contain translated readme files and other translated user files (contributors list, GPL?).

With the GPLv2 is this a problem. There are no official translations. Because of this is in Germany only the English one valid.

I still think we should move the contributors list to the manual. We can much better format it there. And they get even online with the manual. It is no problem, to open the help file with a special page, or? In this case we can still open the contributors list from the About dialog.

Because of this all, we should have all files in separate folders. :)
gerundt
Site Admin

Next

Return to Developers