Released version 2.13.21 alpha

Main development forum.

Released version 2.13.21 alpha

Postby christianlist » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:00 am

I've just now released WinMerge version 2.13.21 alpha.
This is an experimental release, and should be treated as such. Please use it at your own risk.

This is a long overdue release, since most of the code has been in SVN in the R2_14 branch for two years or more already.

My plan is to let this alpha version sit there for a few weeks and let people test it out.
If there are no bugs found other than what we already have in our latest stable release, then I'll create a beta release and likewise let it sit there for a few weeks to let people test it out.
If there are no bugs found other than what we already have in our latest stable release in that either, then I'll create a stable release version 2.14.0.

My plan is not to add anything else to the R2_14 branch than what is already there.
Only exception is if there are some small bugs that can be fixed without to much risk.
And of course documentation and translation updates are always welcome.

My hope is that we can finally after more than 3 years have another stable version of WinMerge.
christianlist
Site Admin

Re: Released version 2.13.21 alpha

Postby gerundt » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Cool news! :)

If I remember correctly, we backported only the non-critical Trunk updates to R2_14. So it should be quite stable.

Have you also plans for the time after the new stable version? Im not sure if we really have the man power for a "WinMerge 3" from scratch. :? I like the idea from Jochen's WinMerge 2011 to drop the ATL/MFC dependencies. Maybe we can drop some features like Visual SourceSafe and Rational ClearCase integration, backports some parts from WinMerge 2011 to make the Trunk fit for feature releases?

Greetings! :)
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby christianlist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 pm

I agree that WinMerge 3 seems to be going very slow at the moment, so it could make good sense to keep 2.x alive for a while.

Removing the ATL/MFC dependencies are one of the good ideas we could use from WinMerge 2011.
Making the code accessible to more developers would be very beneficial to the future of this project.
Maybe Jochen can tell us more about what he did to make it work?

What I would like in 2.16 is 64 bit support.
We are not to far away from that already, I've been running my own compiled 64 bit version of WinMerge since last summer, and have so far only run into one problem.
The problem is that some of our plugins are written in VB6 which cannot run 64 bit. We'll need some solution for that.
The other thing is that I think we need to get the WiX installer fully functional, such that it can be used to release a 64 bit version of WinMerge.

But I think we should concentrate on releasing version 2.14 as our first priority.
christianlist
Site Admin

Postby Kevin.York » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Every now-and-then, I look for WinMerge development news.... It is usually has very depressing results. ...but today, I am not depressed.
So Thanks!

My desires are probably a little uncommon:
Having tried several tree comparison programs, I prefer the ones that highlight "NEWER" or "BIGGER" or "HIGHER-VERSION" files.
[i.e. either highlighting with a bright foreground color or a soft background color]

I also like the icons that WinMerge uses as filename prefixes. Adding similar icons for "NEWER" and "BIGGER" could also work.

P.S. In regards to WinMerge v3: with the new management at NOKIA, do you think NOKIA will continue support for the QT libraries?
Kevin.York

Postby christianlist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm

The installer for this alpha release has been downloaded more than 100 times now, and I have not heard of any new problems.
I'll go ahead with a beta.
christianlist
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm very late at this response, but I think I should clarify a bit...

gerundt wrote:Cool news! :)

Indeed! Nice to see some activity!

gerundt wrote:If I remember correctly, we backported only the non-critical Trunk updates to R2_14. So it should be quite stable.

Emphasis on word should. Backporting is never without risk unless the patch is very trivial. But then I haven't really followed the commits so I can't say for sure how it was done. Still if we continue development we need to drop this backporting practice as it is way too much effort.

gerundt wrote:Have you also plans for the time after the new stable version? Im not sure if we really have the man power for a "WinMerge 3" from scratch. :? I like the idea from Jochen's WinMerge 2011 to drop the ATL/MFC dependencies. Maybe we can drop some features like Visual SourceSafe and Rational ClearCase integration, backports some parts from WinMerge 2011 to make the Trunk fit for feature releases?

Sorry to be on the negative side here, but... Jochen's work is very nice. But there is no way in hell I start working on Windows GUI over WIN32 API. It was Jochen's personal idea and I hope he gets help with it. If we (if there is serious effort I'm with it, but I've heard too much empty talk to be very positive about it) continue we must be able to get the development easier and faster. Not harder.

I don't want this to be taken personally, but from technical perspective. Jochen removed the MFC dependency which was a big pain in the ass. But it makes the GUI development pain in the ass still. It is not more portable, not easier or anything. IMHO all that effort would have been better used for converting to some modern toolkit like WxWidgets.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm

christianlist wrote:I agree that WinMerge 3 seems to be going very slow at the moment, so it could make good sense to keep 2.x alive for a while.

Yes, WinMerge 3 has been more talking than doing. And I've just tired of that myself. Another thing is there are some big decisions to make and we don't even get any discussion about them. I don't know if it is total lack of interest or what. There probably is some interest as people keep forking the repository and giving me access to their forks etc. But I don't know what to do with them? Is this forum too hard to find for discussing?

christianlist wrote:Removing the ATL/MFC dependencies are one of the good ideas we could use from WinMerge 2011.
Making the code accessible to more developers would be very beneficial to the future of this project.
Maybe Jochen can tell us more about what he did to make it work?

Jochen replaced MFC with WIN32 API. And like I wrote to another message there is no way in the hell I will touch to that. Making modern GUI like that is just insane. It is like going back writing assembly instead of C/C++. I'm sure it would not have been much more effort to port to some other toolkit.

christianlist wrote:What I would like in 2.16 is 64 bit support.

Why would that be so important? We don't handle gigabytes of data etc? Of course it is "nicer" in a way it installs to "Program Files" etc but there really should not be difference in speed etc.
kimmov

Return to Developers