Manual translations

Main development forum.

Manual translations

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 am

Spun off from topic "Moving all translation files to one folder structure". Where Tim suggested we use xml2po as a tool for manual translations.

I think the biggest question is if there are translators interested in submitting manual translations. No point in creating infrastructure until we know it will be used too. But lets assume there is interest in this and we decide to add the infrastructure.

So how would we manage these translations and related files?

First we need a own folders in /Translations folder for every manual translation. Folder could be Translations/Docs/Language/Manual (e.g. Translations/Docs/German/Manual).

Then we need to create POT and PO files from current manual using xml2po to the translation folder. We need to re-create them when the English manual changes.

When somebody updates manual one just sends the updated PO files (or patch) to us and we apply changes to SVN.

Next problem is building translated manual from translated PO files. I read from "xml2po manual" that xml2po can be used to create translated XML files from PO files. Then we build manual from these translated files. I guess this procecure is not hard to script. This procuces manual files for translations. Names could be WinMerge.language.chm. What about HTML manual?

Installer can install translated manuals with executable translations (like it does for readme.txt).

But how we select which manual to open from executable? We need some mapping table in executable or external ini file to tell which manual file is for which translation.

In summary, this looks like doable thing. Some open questions but no major problems.
kimmov

Re: Manual translations

Postby gerundt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:40 pm

kimmov wrote:First we need a own folders in /Translations folder for every manual translation. Folder could be Translations/Docs/Language/Manual (e.g. Translations/Docs/German/Manual).

Mhh, I like Translations\Docs\Manual\Language more!

Ok, if you use Translations\Docs\Language\Manual we had own subfolders for other translated docs, like the readme file: Translations\Docs\Language\Readme. But then we only for Docs? The correct way would be Translations\Language\Docs\Manual! But this would be hard to script I think...

kimmov wrote:What about HTML manual?

We could create own manual directories at the website:
  • http://winmerge.org/docs/manual-de/
  • http://winmerge.org/docs/manual-fr/
  • http://winmerge.org/docs/manual-lang/

kimmov wrote:But how we select which manual to open from executable?

Currently replace the installer the english readme file with the translated file. Maybe we can do the same with the manual?
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:19 pm

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:First we need a own folders in /Translations folder for every manual translation. Folder could be Translations/Docs/Language/Manual (e.g. Translations/Docs/German/Manual).

Mhh, I like Translations\Docs\Manual\Language more!

Ok, if you use Translations\Docs\Language\Manual we had own subfolders for other translated docs, like the readme file: Translations\Docs\Language\Readme. But then we only for Docs? The correct way would be Translations\Language\Docs\Manual! But this would be hard to script I think...

Yep, we need to decide on which level into the path we add the language. We could even have Translations/language and then everything under that folder. But the problem really is that for other components we have one file per language, for docs we have multiple files and folders. So we can keep all WinMerge executable PO files in one folder, but need separate folders for manual translations.

It woud be a bit weird to have own subfolder for every WinMerge executable PO files. But it is natural to have own subfolder for every translated manual version.

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:What about HTML manual?

We could create own manual directories at the website:
  • http://winmerge.org/docs/manual-de/
  • http://winmerge.org/docs/manual-fr/
  • http://winmerge.org/docs/manual-lang/

Sounds good.

gerundt wrote:
kimmov wrote:But how we select which manual to open from executable?

Currently replace the installer the english readme file with the translated file. Maybe we can do the same with the manual?

I don't think that works with manual. What if user switches the WinMerge language? We need to install manual for all selected languages and be able to switch manual when language is changed.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:12 pm

kimmov wrote:Yep, we need to decide on which level into the path we add the language. We could even have Translations/language and then everything under that folder. But the problem really is that for other components we have one file per language, for docs we have multiple files and folders. So we can keep all WinMerge executable PO files in one folder, but need separate folders for manual translations.

No, Translations\Language would be not so good for us as developer. Think at merging Frhed translations to WinMerge. Only for translators would it be good, since they have really all files in on folder (and his subfolders).

I like personally Translations\Docs\Manual\Language. In this case have each project (if we say readme and manual are own projects) have a own language folder.

Btw: I think we should use for new language projects names like "de" and "fr" instead "German" and "French"...
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:40 pm

gerundt wrote:No, Translations\Language would be not so good for us as developer. Think at merging Frhed translations to WinMerge. Only for translators would it be good, since they have really all files in on folder (and his subfolders).

What other problems there are than merging from Frhed? Once or twice a year merge is not really a problem. If we ever will do a merge from Frhed at all...

I think consistency in paths would be very good. You can just go to Translations/language and find everything there. Easy (?) to learn scripts to add language component to paths in one place in paths.

gerundt wrote:I like personally Translations\Docs\Manual\Language. In this case have each project (if we say readme and manual are own projects) have a own language folder.

Yep, but we also have many different kinds of paths to translations. Think about the build script, it needs to determine each path with different logic. But that is one-time pain for me, so not really important reason as is.

Personally I really don't have preference of which folder structure to use. I'm fine with both.

gerundt wrote:Btw: I think we should use for new language projects names like "de" and "fr" instead "German" and "French"...

Fine with me.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Sat May 16, 2009 10:48 am

Update: Frhed now lives in its own and separately installed program. Frhed codes were removed from WinMerge SVN trunk and DLL is not distributed with WinMerge. So Frhed component uses translations installed by Frhed installer.
kimmov

Return to Developers