Moving repositories to Bitbucket's WinMerge team

Main development forum.

Moving repositories to Bitbucket's WinMerge team

Postby kimmov » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm

As we now have WinMerge team account at Bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/winmerge) I think we should move existing Mercurial repositories (with Wikis) there.

I have one I need to move in next days. That is the Web repository, currently at https://bitbucket.org/kimmov/winmerge-web . Move itself is easy and straightforward to do. But I think there needs to be some updates to content too after new repository (where we refer to web page code)? And how do we name our repositories at WinMerge account? Naturally having "winmerge" prefix/postfix in the name is unnecessary. So maybe I rename the "winmerge-web" to simply "web"?

And I guess I need to keep the old repository accessible at my account until all the references (web pages, other content) to new repository are updated?

Do we want my current "winmerge-v2" repository to WinMerge team account? With what name?
kimmov

Re: Moving repositories to Bitbucket's WinMerge team

Postby kimmov » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Ok, tried to backup/synchronize the current SVN repository from the new sf.net repository location. rsync could not do incremental backup but started downloading all files again. So I'm afraid I cannot anymore just "update" the "winmerge-v2" HG repository. But I have to re-convert it, creating totally new repository. This is of course bad news for people who have cloned the repository. :cry:

I can keep the current "winmerge-v2" repository still available even though it doesn't contain commits from last months. But now that I'm going to do the conversion again, are there some comments/wishes/etc for the conversion? It is quite a large repository (Bitbucket says 94 MB). Maybe we could strip oldest commits, or some old directories from pre WinMerge 2.x time? History before moving from CVS to SVN? It was a breaking change anyway. Maybe strip some binaries? I remember that we had some large pictures at the repository (splash screens?)?
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm

kimmov wrote:And how do we name our repositories at WinMerge account? Naturally having "winmerge" prefix/postfix in the name is unnecessary. So maybe I rename the "winmerge-web" to simply "web"?

Yes, "web" sounds good! The display name could be "Website".

kimmov wrote:Do we want my current "winmerge-v2" repository to WinMerge team account? With what name?

Just "winmerge" or "winmerge2"? Of course looks the url a little bit drunken! ;) - https://bitbucket.org/winmerge/winmerge

TortoiseHg use a shortname for there repository. So we could use "wm" or "wm2"? - https://bitbucket.org/winmerge/wm

Or we use just the version number? "version2" or just "v2"? - https://bitbucket.org/winmerge/v2

I give two votes for "v2" and one vote for "winmerge". :)

kimmov wrote:Maybe we could strip oldest commits, or some old directories from pre WinMerge 2.x time?

I think the "Web" directory could drop and also the branches "PO_translations_test" and "Perry".
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby christianlist » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 pm

gerundt wrote:Or we use just the version number? "version2" or just "v2"? - https://bitbucket.org/winmerge/v2

I give two votes for "v2" and one vote for "winmerge". :)

v2 is short an easy, it get's one vote from me.

kimmov wrote:Maybe we could strip oldest commits, or some old directories from pre WinMerge 2.x time?

I suggest we let all old versions (version 2.14 and older) stay in the SVN repository and only keep trunk in Bitbucket.
christianlist
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 am

gerundt wrote:

I think the "Web" directory could drop and also the branches "PO_translations_test" and "Perry".

I don't actually want to touch to "Web" repository. Not for stripping two branches. Indeed, looking at the repository at Bitbucket there is just "R2_6" branch which we can just close so it won't be visible anymore. Re-converting or stripping repository would mean everybody need to get new clone and could not work with current clones anymore.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 am

christianlist wrote:

I suggest we let all old versions (version 2.14 and older) stay in the SVN repository and only keep trunk in Bitbucket.

There are few ways I can limit the conversion:
  • strip files / directories
  • strip branches / tags (which are directories in SVN)
  • limit revision range to convert
So we could e.g. say we don't care about history before certain commit.

OTOH, I feel it is more honest to have all the history available. Stripping it has the feeling something being hidden etc. Only thing I'm worried is the size. It may bother people with slow internet connection to download over 90 MB. But it is also reasonable to assume people understand it is reality novadays.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't think, that a new developer - which clone the "v2" repository - are interested at the changes we did in the "R2_8" branch. So for me and the most new developers should be "Trunk only" enough. And the history of the website has now a own repository, so we could drop "Web" directory.

Maybe you can do a second "complete" conversion, which we release as "svn-history" or so? We don't work with this repo, but if somebody really want to know what did we in the past, he can work with this repository. Also faster as if he looks with SVN. :)
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:57 am

gerundt wrote:I don't think, that a new developer - which clone the "v2" repository - are interested at the changes we did in the "R2_8" branch. So for me and the most new developers should be "Trunk only" enough. And the history of the website has now a own repository, so we could drop "Web" directory.

Good points. I was more concerned about the size and stripping branches and web directory don't help with that. For the sake of history completeness I'd keep the branches. If somebody is already working with Mercurial repository I'd hate to say one must go back to SVN just to get code for older release.

gerundt wrote:Maybe you can do a second "complete" conversion, which we release as "svn-history" or so? We don't work with this repo, but if somebody really want to know what did we in the past, he can work with this repository. Also faster as if he looks with SVN. :)
Good point again. I'll try making some test conversions to see how stripping branches effects to the size of the repository etc.

I made new conversion (without any stripping) into https://bitbucket.org/kimmov/w2

It was made from the new backup (URL) and now contains all the SVN revisions.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:31 pm

I tried new conversion from SVN. This time I stripped all branches from the repository, so only the trunk was converted. Quite surprising (for me atleast) the repository size dropped to almost half (53 MB) of the repository with all the branches (95 MB). I guess most of that is explained by the --datesort option I'm using which can generate big diffs between branch commits. Interesting anyway, and maybe a way to go with the development repository. 40 MB less (to download) for every clone is nice saving of bandwidth and disk space.
kimmov

Postby christianlist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 am

kimmov wrote:40 MB less (to download) for every clone is nice saving of bandwidth and disk space.

Sounds like this is the way to go.
christianlist
Site Admin

Next

Return to Developers