Tracker items for bugs, feature requests etc.

Main development forum.

Tracker items for bugs, feature requests etc.

Postby christianlist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:10 pm

We have decided to move our code development to BitBucket.
All our tracker items are still on sf.net.

We have so many tracker items that it's hard to get a good overview of were we are and where we want to go.
The new tracker implementation on sf.net has better support for milestones than the old one, so I'm thinking I'd like to make a pass through our open items and divide them up.
I'm thinking we could split them like this:

• 3.0 - for the items we'll include in version 3.0
  • 2.16 - for the items we'll include in version 2.16
  • 2.14.2 - for them items we'll possibly include in 2.14.2 (maybe we'll decide not to release 2.14.2 at all)
  • Future - for items that we may eventually implement, but it's not on our agenda in the near future
  • Limbo - for items that are not likely to be implemented at all, but we'll keep them around just in case things change
Should we have more/less milestones than this?

The good thing about the new milestone system is that once 2.16 is released, we can mark it done and open 2.18.
The 2.16 milestone will then disappear from most of the UI but it still remains available if you really want to see those old items.
christianlist
Site Admin

Re: Tracker items for bugs, feature requests etc.

Postby gerundt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:50 am

I don't like the name "Limbo". I think the most users will don't know what it means. But what is a better name? "Maybe future" or better "Maybe never"? ;)

Btw: Can you maybe grouping the tracker links in the menu from the project page?
https://sourceforge.net/blog/platform-u ... u-cleanup/
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby christianlist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 am

gerundt wrote:I don't like the name "Limbo". I think the most users will don't know what it means. But what is a better name? "Maybe future" or better "Maybe never"? ;)

I tried looking at some of the other projects to see what they are using, but it doesn't look like they are all that inventive. The best I found is "Won't implement" but I don't like that much.
How about the more neutral "Not scheduled"?

gerundt wrote:Btw: Can you maybe grouping the tracker links in the menu from the project page?
https://sourceforge.net/blog/platform-u ... u-cleanup/

Done.
christianlist
Site Admin

Postby gerundt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 am

christianlist wrote:How about the more neutral "Not scheduled"?

Yes, that sounds better! :)
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby gerundt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 am

Mhh, currently I can't see the tracker links at the menu and I got a 500 error if I want to open it directly:
http://sourceforge.net/p/winmerge/patches/
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 am

christianlist wrote:We have so many tracker items that it's hard to get a good overview of were we are and where we want to go.

That's the reason I simply stopped following them myself. Back when I was actively developing the bug and RFE trackers took way too much of my time, just to do the first-level analysis if the bug or request was a valid at all. Not counting time trying to reproduce, asking more info etc which rarely got any answers. People just submit items and don't bother replying.

IMHO we need to have a lot less tolerable approach in future to keep this in hand. Especially with the RFEs. If the idea doesn't look like a good one to implement in foreseeable future we just close it. Not leave everything hanging there for years to come. We tried to handle this problem with the TODO-list. I think the approach is good - just should rename the RFE list to wishlist to make it obvious there are no any guarantees of implementing it. And the submitter(s) not developers need to convince others the wish item is worth implementing. All items are "future" by default.

christianlist wrote:I'm thinking we could split them like this:
  • 3.0 - for the items we'll include in version 3.0
  • 2.16 - for the items we'll include in version 2.16
  • 2.14.2 - for them items we'll possibly include in 2.14.2 (maybe we'll decide not to release 2.14.2 at all)
  • Future - for items that we may eventually implement, but it's not on our agenda in the near future
  • Limbo - for items that are not likely to be implemented at all, but we'll keep them around just in case things change
Should we have more/less milestones than this?

I don't believe setting initial milestones works. It hasn't worked before. People always think they have time for something but after all are late for the release and then we add untested and work-in-progress patches to releases just to get the code in. I tried hard to track the features we'd include for few stable releases. It just didn't work. We didn't get all we were planning to get but got few we didn't plan. It is very hard to do project plans when people are doing all the work as they wish in their free time.

We need to think it other way around. Set the milestone when the code has been accepted to the release. Until that the item is "future". I don't think there are features we "must have" for some release. If we have, then we must also have a serious commitment to implement it. Not just "I may do it".

Also, I don't think we need "limbo" at all. If the thing doesn't look good then just remove it. If somebody thinks it is a good and needed idea they submit it again and that is then a signal that there might be some good in that idea. Current trackers are polluted with the "future" ideas nobody is interested in implementing but somebody once thought to submit anyway.
kimmov

Return to Developers