readme.md

Main development forum.

readme.md

Postby gerundt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 am

Cool, SF.net supports (like Github and Bitbucket) README files with text Markdown (or Textile, Creole and ReST):
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documen ... es-Readme/

Looks good:
https://sourceforge.net/p/winmerge/code ... Externals/
gerundt
Site Admin

Re: readme.md

Postby kimmov » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 am

The problem is people don't recognize the .md files. Indeed I wouldn't have recognized it as readme.txt replacement if I just saw the file name in the directory listing. So, this is nice and useful just for the people browsing code in these web services. And kind of breaks other users who don't find the familiar readme.txt anymore.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm

I think more and more developrs will use readme.md if there have projects at Github or Bitbucket. So one day it will be normal. And normal users normally not look at the source code.
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:55 pm

gerundt wrote:I think more and more developrs will use readme.md if there have projects at Github or Bitbucket. So one day it will be normal. And normal users normally not look at the source code.

Sorry, I didn't mean normal users. But developers. I could say I'm pretty experienced developer and I've never used .md files like this. Yes I've used different markups of course, but to generate documentation/manual not for version control web-gui. :)

I'm not against about using .md files. Not at all. Maybe they are the future. I'm just a bit old-school as I'm used to plain text readme files.
kimmov

Return to Developers