Removing plugins from installer and zips

Main development forum.

Re: Removing plugins from installer and zips

Postby kimmov » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 pm

The fact is nobody has done nothing for plugins system in years. Nobody has even replied my posts and messages about them (except you). So there is no other conclusion than people do not care. And hence I do not care.

But I care about people losing data and having all kinds of weird problems caused by plugins (see our bug list). I've lost lots and lots of time trying to reproduce bugs that were caused by (buggy) plugin (of course people forgot to tell or they don't even know plugin was involved). All that time has been out from other development work.

I've made my decision.
kimmov

Postby kimmov » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Small change to this plan. As I wrote in another post I want to start heading to 2.14 stable release in couple of weeks. This means I don't want to make any major changes until the branch is created. So plugin support stays intact in 2.14 stable release. But probably removing it starts pretty soon after the 2.14 branch has been created. But pugins won't be a part of the installer in 2.14.
kimmov

Postby heldersepu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Please do not Remove plugin support from WinMerge, you could remove the plugin files from installer & zips, but do not remove the functionality, at least give users the possibility to "activate plugins".

Thank you!
heldersepu

Postby kimmov » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:34 pm

I wouldn't remove them if there were any interest in fixing them. Nothing has happened in few years time so the fact is we must get rid of that part of the code. And hope somebody gets motivated to implement better plugin system.

It is simple - if we want to have a good product we have no other choice than remove the worst part called plugins. They cause a way too many problems for developers and users. Too many times buggy plugin has caused WinMerge to show wrong results or crash or behave unexpectedly.
kimmov

Postby gerundt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 am

Should I remove the plugins from the MSI setup too? Currently includes the setup the plugins, but don't install it by default.
gerundt
Site Admin

Postby kimmov » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:00 am

Probably a good idea. Keeps installers in par with functionality. And prepares people for complete removal.
kimmov

Postby muztafa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm

kimmov wrote:Nobody has even replied my posts and messages about them (except you). So there is no other conclusion than people do not care. And hence I do not care.

Perhaps its too late, but like heldersepu and matthias1955, I am interested in plugins as well. I use the 7zip integration regularly to compare ear/war/jar files and other compressed files without first expanding them out. The 7zip plugin has not been updated since 4.57 was released in Dec 2007 (4.65 is the current version, released Feb 2009), however renaming the files and references to from 4.57 to 4.65 has me to continue using it. I am still on WinMerge 2.10.4.

Maybe the plugins have not been updated because they work? If you would reconsider your decision, please allow for plugins to continue as an unsupported and undisclosed feature and do not go out of your way to disable them.

Regardless, thanks for all your work in improving this essential utility.
muztafa

Postby kimmov » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Archive support and 7-zip plugin is totally different thing than compare plugins.
kimmov

Previous

Return to Developers