WinMerge not seeing some Internet Shortcuts

Forum discussing about these forums. How could we improve these forums? Ideas, suggestions?

WinMerge not seeing some Internet Shortcuts

Postby BillBald » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:53 pm

I added some files to a folder, then I wanted to use the Folder Compare to merge the new files into a copy of the folder.
To my surprise, it showed the folders as being identical. I confirmed using Windows Explorer that they were not identical. I had this problem with v2.14.0.0 in Windows 7. I decided to try the latest stable release v2.16.6.0, after uninstalling WinMerge and deleting the Programs folder, but I'm still getting the same problem.
The files in question are Internet Shortcuts.
I tried comparing 2 other folders containing Internet Shortcuts, after adding a Shortcut to one of the folders. I got the same error, with the newly added Shortcut not being seen by WinMerge.
So it seems that if you have folders which only contain Shortcuts, you are liable to get this error. Very puzzling as I have used WinMerge for years without noticing this problem.
BillBald

Re: WinMerge not seeing some Internet Shortcuts

Postby BillBald » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:28 am

On further investigation, it's not just Internet Shortcuts that I'm having trouble with. I compared 2 folders which I knew were not the same (not same no. of files in Windows Explorer), and WinMerge reported that they were the same. But when I ran the compare again, switching the left folder to the right and vice versa, it correctly showed the files which were missing.
BillBald

Return to WinMerge Forums