Log of Comparison Results?

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Log of Comparison Results?

Postby imbs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 am

My machine just crashed for no apparent reason (a known feature of Windoze, and I do not suspect WinMerge as causing the crash). A very long-running comparison had completed earlier; I had briefly scanned the results pane and saw that there were differences in a number of large binary files.

By some miracle, does WinMerge log somewhere on disk the results so I don't have to re-run this giant compare?? I suspect not because I have a nice tool that can show me all recently created files within the entire file system and I didn't see anything (outside of possible files in the Temp directory) that looked promising...

UPDATE: I re-ran the comparison (which took ~17 hours (385Gb total, across a network connection)), and *tried* to copy the results screen to a text file. There doesn't even seem to be a way to cut/paste the summary screen as text! I can 'Select All' using the Menu Bar->Edit drop down, but ^C does NOT copy the text to the clip board and right-clicking brings up a menu with a lot of nice compare/merge/etc options, none of which copies the text to the clipboard. I could do a screen capture but it's basically useless since it is a graphics file and only shows what's on the screen at the moment rather than all of the text in the whole window (sometimes a LOT of text when there are a lot of file differences...)

May I suggest that one or both options be added to your feature request list?
1) Option to write comparison results (at directory level) to a log file as the comparisons take place (so long-running comparison results aren't lost if it is aborted in some way);
2) The ability to copy text from WinMerge text windows to the clipboard (folder compare summary, file compare window).

An additional probably useful option would be an option to write file-level comparison results to a log file, i.e. the diffs themselves (first step toward generating a patch file).

Perhaps the directory-level compare log could even be written in a form that WinMerge could use to restart a directory comparison if it was interrupted...

I know, not a lot of resources available for development. There are quite a few of us fans out here, though :D
imbs

Re: Log of Comparison Results?

Postby jtuc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:24 am

imbs wrote:I do not suspect WinMerge as causing the crash

Not terribly unlikely when huge files are involved.

imbs wrote:An additional probably useful option would be an option to write file-level comparison results to a log file, i.e. the diffs themselves (first step toward generating a patch file).

Try Tools > Generate Patch.
jtuc
Developer

Re: Log of Comparison Results?

Postby keithdxb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Any update on this as a log file would be VERY useful!!
keithdxb

Return to Open Discussion