Differences disappear

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Differences disappear

Postby gladtobegrey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 pm

I have just used WinMerge for the first time in a long time. I updated to the latest version for W10 (2.16.2.0).

I'm trying to compare folders on two USB External Hard Drives. These should be identical, as I have copied from one to the other using W10 Robocopy. As an initial test, I did a compare on folders that should be (and are, by a visual check) identical, and I got no differences. So far, so good.

I then tried comparing two completely different folders. These folders have completely different files (and number of files) in them. The differences flashed up momentarily, then disappeared again, leaving me with - apparently - no differences.

As a comparison, I tried doing a folder compare with two different folders on my hard drive. This showed up the difference as expected.

But going back to comparing different folder on the external drives, I get the same puzzling behaviour - the differences flash up momentarily but then the window clears leaving me with no differences.

I have also tried comparing on hard-drive and one external drive folder, with the same result - the differences disappear. And now, comparing two hard-drive folders also show the same behaviour, the differences disappear.

I'm setting read-only on both folders, and recursive (Include subfolders).

Am I doing something wrong?
gladtobegrey

Return to Open Discussion