Not seeing how to move left to right

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Not seeing how to move left to right

Postby wimehada » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm comparing some old backups and some folders and files are redundant so I want to move over (overwrite if necessary) folders and files on the left side that don't exist or are different on the right side...

However, when I right-click a folder on the left (even if it says it doesn't exist on the right) and click Move, the menu expands to Left to... or Right to... and then clicking one of those pops up a Browse For Folder box with Computer selected... https://imgur.com/m0lbcXj

I'm not understanding why WinMerge wants me to choose a folder to move to, with no clue as the path I just added to compare to on the previous window... now I have to go back to Explorer, pull up both folders side-by-side, and manually move over each one (which Explorer just naturally asks me to merge). The whole point of WinMerge is to save me some work while making it easy to see differences, but I'm not understanding why it can't do a basic move like Windows' built-in Explorer can.
wimehada

Re: Not seeing how to move left to right

Postby wimehada » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Yay thankfully my post is now approved, however I'm not seeing any reply to it.
wimehada

Postby LongtimeUser » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:14 am

Instead of using the Move option in the context menu, choose Copy, then select Right to Left. Then right click and select Delete / Right. This should achieve what you are trying to do.
LongtimeUser

Postby wimehada » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm

LongtimeUser wrote:Instead of using the Move option in the context menu, choose Copy, then select Right to Left. Then right click and select Delete / Right. This should achieve what you are trying to do.

I want to move not copy.
wimehada

Postby LongtimeUser » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

wimehada wrote:I want to move not copy.

If you follow the steps in my post that you quoted, the result will be that the folder exists in the new location and does not exist in the old location. In other words, the folder has been moved.
LongtimeUser

Postby wimehada » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:49 am

LongtimeUser wrote:

If you follow the steps in my post that you quoted, the result will be that the folder exists in the new location and does not exist in the old location. In other words, the folder has been moved.

Does this actually move the file or just copy it and delete the original? There's a meaningful difference.
wimehada

Postby Bucheit » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm

It would certainly be neat if there was an option to set either of those things, depending on the situation. Is there a chance something like that could be done?
Bucheit

Postby Gavril » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 pm

wimehada wrote:
LongtimeUser wrote:

Does this actually move the file or just copy it and delete the original? There's a meaningful difference.

This really is actually vital when you are using symlinks, hardlinks, etc. None of the links work if the file is copied and then deleted. Not that this comes up very often...
Gavril

Postby wimehada » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:08 pm

The point is to move the file so it keeps all of its properties including create date... I've seen copy give a new create date, which can be undesirable.
wimehada

Return to Open Discussion