Mouse wheel scrolling

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Mouse wheel scrolling

Postby ctwist » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:46 pm

My mouse is configured in Windows 10 to scroll 1 screen for each click.

In the 2-pane compare window, the mouse wheel only scrolls 3 lines at a time; not very useful.

I can't find anything in the settings to change this behaviour. Can WinMerge be changed to respect the Windows configuration setting?
ctwist

Re: Mouse wheel scrolling

Postby vertigo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:20 am

I just tested this and when I changed it to scroll a screen at a time, WinMerge respects the setting for me. You could try switching the setting to multiple lines then back and see if it fixes it, other than that I'm not sure. What version of Windows and WinMerge are you using?
vertigo

Postby ctwist » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:06 pm

I tried changing the mouse wheel setting to 3 lines and then back to "screen". I did this in 2 places (settings and control panel) because on one occasion a few months ago these showed different settings!!!

I am using Windows 10 64-bit version 1909 and WinMerge 2.16.6. HoweverI have seen this problem for a few years, also occurring on XP. I have never seen WinMerge scroll a full screen.
ctwist

Postby vertigo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:41 pm

I wish I could help, but I can't think of anything else. I'm running the same version of Windows as you (build 18363.592) and the same version of WinMerge. I was running the 32-bit version (didn't even realize there was a 64-bit version, which I now see the available versions are screwy, since there's not even a "normal" 64-bit version available), so I tried the 64-bit one and it works as well. Did you do an upgrade from XP to 10 (not even sure if that's possible), or a clean install? Maybe it's something specific to your mouse, though that's unlikely since it's just this app that has a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try a different one. Just because you have the problem and I don't doesn't mean there's not an issue with WinMerge, but it does mean that if WinMerge is the issue, it's a bug vs the program simply not obeying Windows' setting.
vertigo

Return to Open Discussion