Open several files from TortoiseSVN

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Open several files from TortoiseSVN

Postby kalvaro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 am

I often need to use the "Compare with base" option in TortoiseSVN on more than one file and I can't manage to do it with WinMerge using tabs. If I enable the "Allow only one instance to run" setting I see files opening rapidly in the same window and eventually only the last one remains open. If I disable the setting I get each file in a different Window. Is is possible to use tabs?

WinMerge is configured as diff viewer at install time with the default settings:

C:\Archivos de programa\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe -e -x -ub -dl %bname -dr %yname %base %mine
kalvaro

Re: Open several files from TortoiseSVN

Postby kimmov » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:18 pm

kalvaro wrote:I often need to use the "Compare with base" option in TortoiseSVN on more than one file and I can't manage to do it with WinMerge using tabs. If I enable the "Allow only one instance to run" setting I see files opening rapidly in the same window and eventually only the last one remains open. If I disable the setting I get each file in a different Window. Is is possible to use tabs?

This kind of tabs usage is not supported in current WinMerge versions.

This is a good feature request. It needs some planning about how and when we want to do this "open to new tabs". Would it be only done when single instance is enabled? Or should we add couple of options for this. I'd rather not add new options if possible. But then I see different use cases when one wants new tabs and when files should open to the same tab.
kimmov

Postby kalvaro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Good to know: if it can't be done, I won't try :)

If it depended on me, in the long run I'd just get rid of the whole "one instance" concept and handle it as web browsers do: always reuse the last instance that had focus and allow to open new instances via "File-> New window".

In any case, "only one instance" should not be a synonym for "only one document". Opening a new doc should not close the previous one.
kalvaro

Postby sf-mensch » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:35 pm

What about a command line option -t --> Adds the file given in command line in tabs?
sf-mensch

Postby kimmov » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:01 pm

kalvaro wrote:Good to know: if it can't be done, I won't try :)

Oh, wait! Do you have multiple windows enabled in options? Option(s) are in Options/General/Enable multiple compare windows for.
kimmov

Postby kalvaro » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:25 am

kimmov wrote:Oh, wait! Do you have multiple windows enabled in options? Option(s) are in Options/General/Enable multiple compare windows for.

Bingo! As soon as I enabled that option it all worked as expected. I've also added the "-s" flag in TortoiseSVN settings so I get tabs no matter the general "Allow one instance" setting.

Thank you!
kalvaro

Postby kimmov » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm wondering if we should enable that setting by default. I don't remember why we choose to have it disabled by default.
kimmov

Postby kalvaro » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 am

kimmov wrote:I'm wondering if we should enable that setting by default. I don't remember why we choose to have it disabled by default.

Compatibility with a legacy setting?
kalvaro

Postby kimmov » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Its still only a default setting when user starts WinMerge for a first time. I think this option was added before single-instance or tabs were added so we just forgot to update its default value to more sensible one.

I've now set the default to allow multiple file compare documents by default. The new default setting will be in all future experimental releases and 2.12 stable release.
kimmov

Return to Open Discussion