New "Do you want to move to the previous/next file?" prompts

Open discussion about WinMerge.

New "Do you want to move to the previous/next file?" prompts

Postby IvanHo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:33 pm

I am looking for some information on new WinMerge registry settings, that are not in Edit | Options, for use in an automation imaging script that I am writing.

I am a long time user of WinMerge, and just upgraded to 2.16.4 from 2.14.0. I noticed some new prompts (see subject line) which are, apparently, not configurable through Edit | Options (that I can see, anyway). Playing around with the prompts, I see the following registry values:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Thingamahoochie\WinMerge\MessageBoxes]
"17234"=dword:ffffffff
"17244"=dword:ffffffff
"18101"=dword:ffffffff
"60826"=dword:ffffffff
"77375"=dword:ffffffff

I see the following behavior for changing the prompts w/in WinMerge:

60826: Enables/Disables the "Do you want to move to the next file?" prompt.
77375: Enables/Disables the "Do you want to move to the previous file?" prompt.

Default: ffffffff
This is the default and will always prompt the user each time.
Enable: 6
This is equivalent to the user clicking "Yes" with the "Don't ask again this question again." I.e., permanently setting to "Yes".
Disable: 7
This is equivalent to the user clicking "No" with the "Don't ask again this question again." I.e., permanently setting to "No".

So, that is what I have found. What I do not know is what the other three values represent. I.e., to what do "17234", "17244", and "18101" correspond? I have only given a cursory test on the Edit | Options settings to see if any change these values; none do, so far.

Does anyone know to what these message boxes refer? I have not noticed any other prompts; but haven't yet played with 3-way merging. This might be where these prompts occur.

Thank you in advance for your response.

OS: Microsoft Windows Version 1903 (Build 18362.267), 64-bit
WinMerge: 2.16.4
IvanHo

Re: New "Do you want to move to the previous/next file?" pro

Postby IvanHo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 am

I believe I figured it out. When upgrading from 2.14.0 to 2.16.4, the registry wasn't cleaned. I.e., it appears that the uninstall left some entries.

The only evidence I have for this is that I did a clean install, ensuring that the registry had all of the "Thingamahoochie" keys removed and those 3 extraneous values no longer existed.

UPDATE: They actually are part of 2.16.4; but only show up for me on a clean install. I still don't know what they represent; but I am not being prompted for anything. So, I am ignoring them. Wanted to update this post for posterity.
IvanHo

Return to Open Discussion