WinMerge thinks text files are binary

Forum discussing about these forums. How could we improve these forums? Ideas, suggestions?

WinMerge thinks text files are binary

Postby russ1024 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:11 pm

I was running 2.16.4, then updated to 2.16.6 while investigating this problem.

The problem is that I have a number of new files produced as a result of some refactoring. As such they exist in only one side of the diff. But the new files didn't show up at all in the diff, causing me to miss them on check-in, which of course broke the build, for the first time in well over a year. Thank you very much...

It appears that I can't upload attachments here, so I'm including a dropbox link to an example file. I've cleaned up any potential IP, and confirmed this file, like the one it was copied from, still shows up only when I choose "show binary files".

Thing.Migrate.cs
I just fixed the URL. Apparently the link from dropbox wasn't on my clipboard as I thought, so it wound up with a file URL to my local drive, not very helpful.

I tried searching first, but I couldn't find an allowable search term. I also searched using Google, and only found some comments about null bytes in the files. I opened them in a hex editor and found no nulls. The files were created using Visual Studio '19, and have been edited in multiple editors just to see what might change. Nothing I do makes it show up in the diff unless I choose to "view binary".

I've used WinMerge for years, but this is making me seriously rethink that choice. If I can't trust it to show me the diffs for merging without trying experimenting with random options like this, then it's useless. Is there an answer for this other than

Side note bug: Alt+Tab away from your about box causes it to loose all content, only drawing an empty background when you go back. For years this has been a solid tool, maybe I should just install an old version...
russ1024

Re: WinMerge thinks text files are binary

Postby peedikuubik » Fri May 01, 2020 1:39 pm

I have the exact same issue. Funnily enough, I even Googled using the phrase "winmerge thinks text files are binary". The versions match (2.16.4 upgraded to 2.16.6) and disappointment also – I've been relying on WinMerge and this is the first time I've had any issues with it.

Here's a screenshot showing all sorts of files as binary:
https://i.imgur.com/JME0WIm.png
peedikuubik

Re: WinMerge thinks text files are binary

Postby russ1024 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Yep. I gave up on it and went back to an earlier version. Problem solved...
russ1024

Return to WinMerge Forums