Simple compares between two music file directories

Open discussion about WinMerge.

Simple compares between two music file directories

Postby CFoam » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:10 pm

I know WinMerge is capable of many useful file comparisons, I've used it for scripts and text files in the past however what about just a simple file comparison between a few large directories?

I have over 60GB of Mp3s. Thanks to too many programs mangeling my files and "reorganizing them for me" over the years, a few PC's, Ipad and iPhones along with the dreaded Itunes, I find myself trying to manually consolidate my library. Once I know the files are the same actual content I don't need them to be compared again except by name, size and extension and the directory they are in.
Any of you WInMerge Geniuses out there ever run into this issue and want to post some suggestions?
Appreciate any help or guidance.
CFoam

Re: Simple compares between two music file directories

Postby VaPerson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Looks like this short video shows how to simply compare files in two folders, with one folder shown on the left and the other folder on the right. Sorting on the field "Comparison Result" puts together all the hits for "Right only" and "Left only."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIytZ6a5yPE
VaPerson

Re: Simple compares between two music file directories

Postby vertigo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:26 am

Not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to do, but if you're trying to find duplicates, you're probably better off using dupeguru or another program made specifically for that purpose.
vertigo

Return to Open Discussion